MEMSIC, Inc. (nasdaqgm:MEMS), a leading MEMS sensing solution provider, today announced financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2012.
- Net sales totaled $14.4 million compared to $15.4 million in the 2011 quarter.
- Gross margin was 40.1% compared to 32.5% in the 2011 quarter.
- Operating expenses totaled $6.2 million compared to $6.6 million in the 2011 quarter.
- GAAP net loss was $0.5 million, or $0.02 per diluted share, compared to $1.1 million, or $0.05 per diluted share, in the 2011 quarter.
- EBITDA was $0.8 million, compared to ($0.1) million in the 2011 quarter.
For the six months ended June 30, 2012, net sales totaled $34.4 million compared to $28.3 million in the first six months of 2011. Net income totaled $0.7 million, or $0.03 per diluted share, compared to a net loss of $2.4 million, or $0.10 per diluted share in the prior-year period. EBITDA totaled $3.2 million compared to ($0.3) million in the 2011 period.
"Although we experienced a revenue drop from one large mobile customer, we achieved gross margin improvement in the quarter," commented MEMSIC Chairman, President and CEO Dr. Yang Zhao. "We understand that focusing on the right customer base is important to MEMSIC's long-term growth and prosperity.
"We are pursuing margin improvement by taking steps to further diversify our sensor business into selected market segments, particularly the market for high-precision industrial and automotive applications. We are bringing even more engineering and marketing resources to bear on these markets so we can take full advantage of the opportunities they offer and the technology platform we have established. Leveraging our high-performance and broad product line of sensors and integrated sensor system products, we are targeting the customers that offer long-term opportunity and bottom-line advantages for MEMSIC."
- MEMSIC's mass flow sensor module was awarded a Best of Sensors Expo Honorable Mention by Sensors Magazine. The award was presented at the Sensors Expo & Conference in Rosemont, IL in June 2012. Winners were honored for exceptional innovation, integration and ease of use, among other factors.
- Revenue is expected to be between $14 million and $16 million for the third quarter of 2012.
- GAAP net loss is expected to be in the range of $0.03 to $0.05 per share for the third quarter of 2012.
- Average diluted share count for the 2012 third quarter is estimated to be approximately 24.5 million.
Management will hold a conference call and webcast at 5:00 p.m. EDT on Thursday, August 2, 2012 to review and discuss the Company's results.
About Non-GAAP Financial Information
EBITDA is a measure used by management to evaluate the Company's ongoing operations and as a general indicator of its operating cash flow (in conjunction with a cash flow statement that also includes, among other items, changes in working capital and the effect of non-cash charges). The Company defines EBITDA as net income, plus interest expense net of interest income, provision for income taxes, and depreciation and amortization. Management believes EBITDA is useful to investors because it is frequently used by securities analysts, investors and other interested parties in the comparative evaluation of companies. Because not all companies use identical calculations, the Company's presentation of EBITDA and EBITDA per share may not be comparable to similarly titled measures of other companies. EBITDA is not a recognized term under GAAP and does not purport to be an alternative to net income as a measure of operating performance or to cash flows from operating activities as a measure of liquidity. Additionally, EBITDA is not intended to be a measure of free cash flow for management's discretionary use as it does not reflect certain cash requirements such as interest payments, tax payments and debt service requirements.
Pursuant to the requirements of Regulation G, we have provided a reconciliation of EBITDA to GAAP net income as an exhibit to this release.
About MEMSIC, Inc.
MEMSIC, Inc., headquartered in Andover, Massachusetts, provides advanced semiconductor sensors and multi-sensor system solutions based on micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS) technology and sophisticated integration technologies in both the IC level and module level. MEMSIC's unique and proprietary approach combines leading-edge sensor technologies, such as magnetic sensors and accelerometers, with mixed signal processing circuitry to produce reliable, high quality, cost-effective solutions for the mobile phone, automotive, consumer, industrial, and general aviation markets. The company's shares are listed on the NASDAQ Stock Exchange