Oct 4th, 2012
X-FAB to invest more than $50M in MEMS operations
X-FAB Silicon Foundries today announced it will invest more than $50M during the next three years in cleanroom space, new equipment, R&D and staff for its MEMS operations.
These investments reflect X-FAB’s significant focus on MEMS to support the expected growth in MEMS services. The new brand X-FAB MEMS Foundry on X-FAB’s campus in Erfurt focuses solely on advanced MEMS manufacturing and developments, and will consolidate all of X-FAB’s MEMS business and activities.
X-FAB CEO Rudi De Winter said, “The MEMS sector is a strategic field of X-FAB’s overall activities to serve the growing needs of our customers. Our customers will benefit from the dedicated resources and expertise of a foundry focused solely on advanced MEMS technology, and built on X-FAB’s solid foundation of technical excellence. This move is X-FAB’s next step towards our goal of becoming one of the top three worldwide suppliers of MEMS foundry services.”
X-FAB’s recent accomplishments in MEMS technology include:
- Industry’s first open-platform MEMS 3-axis inertial sensor process available directly from a high-volume pure-play foundry
- Completion of a dedicated noble metal facility for MEMS
- 8-inch MEMS capability
- High-volume manufacturing of bulk and surface micromachined technologies, with and without CMOS integration
- In-house technology platforms for mainstream MEMS applications such as pressure sensors, inertial sensors and infrared sensors
- Ready-to-use IP design blocks for MEMS accelerometers
More MEMS news