Comparison of four gas sensors for consumer applications made by Bosch, ams and Sensirion.
The miniaturization of gas sensors has allowed their introduction to consumer applications and their manufacture in large volumes. Technological choices and how manufacturers integrate components makes it possible to know which markets and performance levels they target.
System Plus Consulting has reviewed four different gas sensors from three manufacturers. We analyze and compare the AS-MLV-P2 and the CCS801 from ams, the BME680 from Bosch and the SGP30 from Sensirion. We provide insights into their structure, technical choices, design, processes, supply chain positions and costs.
Coming from industrial applications, ams’ Applied Sensor unit uses technologies that are reliable, robust, accurate and mature. Meanwhile, ams’ Cambridge CMOS Sensor subsidiary uses some of the latest technologies developed for the MEMS microphones to miniaturize devices.
The BME680 environmental sensor can detect a broad range of gases, including volatile organic compounds, using a smaller gas sensor die compared to competitor companies like ams and Sensirion.
SGP30 is Sensirion’s first multi-gas sensor. To reduce the component size, Sensirion placed the gas sensor above the application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) and packaged it with the same molding compound, reducing the number of bonding processes, and increasing signal-to-noise ratio.
This report includes an analysis of the packaging and the sensor die along with a cost analysis for all devices. Finally, we compare devices to highlight their manufacturers’ technical choices.
Gas and Particle Sensors 2018 – by Yole Développement
Air quality is breathing life into the sensor market!
OBJECTIVES OF THE REPORT:
Identification and analysis of the applications:
- Determination of the range of applications
- Market segmentation
- Technical and economic requirements by segment
- Chemical species to be measured
- Key players at application and system levels
- Sensor market size and market forecast 2017-2023 in $M and Munits
Analyze and describe the technologies involved:
- Existing and future gas and particle sensing technologies
- Major actors and R&D organizations on a worldwide basis
- Technology roadmap for the different products and process
- Who is developing what?
- Competing technologies and organizations for each application
- Sensor die market size and market forecast 2017-2023 in $M, Munits
- Main challenges, including sensitivity, selectivity and packaging
Get more here