- Huawei ban, COVID-19 pandemic and semiconductor shortage have strongly impacted the CIS industry.
- 2020 saw CIS revenues reach US$20.7 billion with an annual growth of 7.3%.
- Expectation for 2021 is to experience slower growth at 3.2% YoY. Nevertheless, the market will reach a record value of US$21.4 billion.
- Sony, Samsung and OmniVision are still occupying the top 3 ranking with 73% of the total CIS market revenue in 2020:
- Sony was the main CIS player to suffer from the Huawei ban, with a major drop in CIS revenue in Q4 2020 and Q1 2021.
- Samsung and OmniVision have benefited strongly from this combination of events.
- Having access to specific production lines could be important for CIS players in the coming years.
COVID-19 WAS NOT THE FOX AMONG THE CHICKENS
CIS revenues reach US$20.7 billion in 2020, with a 7.3% annual growth. As with other semiconductor products, Yole Développement (Yole)’s analysts noted that long production cycles and the activity of markets such as consumer, automotive, security, and industrial led to challenges in procurement of CIS at the end of 2020.
In 2021, Yole’s imaging team expects a more stable situation. Q1 2021 has been very good due to some production overflow identified from Q4 2020, leading to a 7% better quarter compared to Q1 2020.
“Q1 is seasonally a typically lower revenue quarter, though there was fear of shortages in the overall semiconductor industry”, explains Chenmeijing Liang, Technology & Market Analyst within the Photonics, Sensing & Display Division at Yole. “At Yole, we believe that the effect here is more linked to supply chain issues rather than real capacity issues for CIS.”
2020 was a very unusual year for the CIS industry, without doubts.
Everybody had the COVID-19 situation in mind. Indeed, it created a temporary disruption in the supply chain which had to be made up towards year-end. But more than that, another disruptive aspect was the Huawei ban and its effect on the market between Q3 2020 and Q4 2020, especially for Sony. However, it did not lead to a CIS market collapse thanks to the increasing number of cameras per mobile and a stable average selling price overall.
All these events combined allowed for the CIS industry to maintain significant growth in 2020.
Related Reports and Monitors
Liquid Lens Camera Module in the Xiaomi Mi MIX FOLD
Reverse Costing - Structural, Process & Cost Report
Microphones, Microspeakers, and Audio Processing 2021
Market & Technology