Flip chip packaging and Wafer level packaging reach new heights crossing $12 B threshold by 2025 amid coronavirus pandemic as global demand for semiconductor devices soars to new high.
Key features of the monitor
- Quarterly data update on key Advanced package types such as FCBGA, WLCSP/Fan-In, Fan-Out packages, and 3D stacked packages
- Market forecast through 2025, in $US, UNITS and WAFER Forecast
- ASP analysis, per market segment
- End-product/device application mix
- Key process-technology mix
- Supplier market share (TSMC, Semco, Samsung Electronics, Amkor, JCET, ASE w/SPIL, PTI, Nepes, SPIL, Huatian, TFME)
- Demand forecast through 2025, by category (i.e. mobile, consumer, telecom & infrastructure)
- CapEx and capacity, per supplier
- Innovative packaging platforms are covered (3D SoC, Embedded bridge, 2.5D interposer…)
This monitor is not part of our Bundled Offer and full Yole Développement yearly subscription.
Table of contents
Wafer Level Package market overview
- FCBGA, 3D stacked, WLCSP, Fan-Out package market dynamics
- FCBGA, 3D stacked, WLCSP, Fan-Out package supply & demand
- Supplier CapEx and capacity (waferlevel and panel-level)
- Market share, per major supplier
- Market pricing (per market segment/package size)
- System demand
- FCBGA, 3D stacked, WLCSP, Fan-Out package demand
FCBGA, 3D stacked, WLCSP, Fan-Out Production
- FCBGA, 3D stacked, WLCSP, Fan-Out package – technology mix
- FCBGA, 3D stacked, WLCSP, Fan-Out package production, per supplier
- FCBGA, 3D stacked, WLCSP, Fan-Out package – application mix
FCBGA PACKAGING REVENUE REACH NEW HEIGHTS AS DEMAND FOR SERVERS, AI, AND NETWORKING SKYROCKETS AMID GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
FCBGA packages are expected to reach 1.1B units in 2020 with 2% CAGR over the next five years. FCBGA packages are employed for Client and Server CPUs, GPUs, many networking ASIC applications, and automotive modules. Traditionally FCBGA packages have been used in Client desktop, laptop CPU and server CPU applications with high demand of HDI (High density interconnect) substrate. Over the years, FCBGA packaging market has expanded to GPUs, FPGAs, and many networking ASIC devices in addition to automotive multi-chip modules (MCMs). FCBGA packages also play role in 2.5D interposer-based solutions and embedded bridge type packages as server infrastructure demand is expected to soar in coming years in addition to automotive growth in infotainment (IVI) and ADAS applications. FCBGA solution is typically comprised of HDI substrate typically ranging in 35×35 or larger with logic type die with many I/Os requiring advanced flip chip attach process with underfill and thermal solution such as integrated heat spreader and thermal solution. FCBGA revenue is expected to surpass $10B by 2025. Yole Développement will begin publishing, in quarterly instalments, a monitor containing world-class research, data, and insights pertaining to advanced packaging markets. This monitor will analyse the FCBGA, 3D Stacked packages, and wafer level based package market’s evolution in terms of revenue, shipments, capex, market pricing, capacity, application & process technology mix, and supplier market share. In the future, Yole Développement will extend its coverage to fcCSP & System in Package (SiP) form factors as well.
WAFER LEVEL PACKAGING PLATFORMS SUCH AS WLCSP AND FAN-OUT PACKAGING SERVE MOBILE & CONSUMER MARKETS AND HIGH-END SERVER APPLICATIONS AS FOUNDRY AND IDM PLAYERS CONTINUE TO PLAY ACTIVE ROLE IN THIS EVER EVOLVING ECO-SYSTEM
WLCSP/Fan-In packages have found its place in many smartphone devices due to its lowest cost and scalability features. WLCSP can be found in PMICs, PMUs, Audio Codecs, RF transceivers, switches, antenna tuners, CMOS Image Sensors and number of other applications suited for consumer market such as for smartphone and wearable device application. WLCSP remains an attractive option given its reasonable reliability, process maturity, and lowest cost. OSATs remain top leaders in manufacturing WLCSP as it has become a commodity market. FO packaging began several years ago with limited applications, but it has now found a critical role and rightful place in the high-end packaging sector as a mature, reliable package technology. In fact, TSMC’s InFO form-factors brought FO technology to new heights in 2015 as Apple launched its A10 with InFO-PoP approach. FO packages are primarily used in the mobile and consumer segments, with some proliferation in automotive radar. FO packaging is expected to gain wider adoption as 5G, AI, and autonomous driving take flight in the coming years – and revenue stemming from FO packaging is expected to reach $2B – $2.5B by 2025. Fan-Out panel packaging efforts are mainly being championed by PTI and Samsung electronics and this monitor also sheds light on panel level production using Fan-Out packaging technologies.
THE POWER OF 3D STACKED PACKAGES AND ROAD TO HETEROGENEOUS INTEGRATION
With rise of the need for heterogeneous integration, 3D stacked packaging is coming at the forefront of advanced packaging arena as Moore’s law slows down due to increased cost of Si transistor scaling. 3D stacked packages are expected to grow at 14.3% CAGR reaching to estimated 28B units by 2025. 3D stacked packages include SoC (System on Chip), active interposer packages such as Foveros and Co-EMIB, 3D NAND, 3DS, HBM, and Stacked CIS packages. This Advanced packaging monitor also provides insight into various 3D stacked players in addition to insight in package form factors and its projected growth and evolution.
Yole Développement’s quarterly monitor will answer the pressing questions facing this industry, including:
- How will 3D Stacked packaging will shape the future of SoC?
- What will happen to hybrid bonding and how will it come to larger production scale?
- How will FCBGA business will grow to new records amid this Pandemic and automotive industry will become a catalyst for growth in this market?
- What will happen to WLCSP/Fan-In packaging market? Has it hit its peak or is there more room to grow?
- How will foundries such as TSMC is redefining advanced packaging and how fast will TSMC will grow in advanced packaging arena?
- How will Intel, TSMC, and Samsung drive heterogeneous integration with hybrid packaging technologies?
- Will Sony continue to have foothold in CIS stacked form factor?
- Will the two primary HDFO suppliers (TSMC and Samsung Electronics) continue to manage supply, or will there be a new entrant to support HDFO’s growing demand?
- Will the FO PLP business significantly increase in the coming years as ASE and PTI increase capex by bringing additional PLP capacity online?
- Will core FO packages (supporting devices such as PMICs and codecs) stay as FO, or will they be replaced by Fan-In packages or FC?
- Will 5G spur additional FO package growth with new RF designs?
- Will FO package capex continue increasing, or will it stabilize at a certain level? With its Advanced Packaging quarterly market monitor, Yole Développement provides opinions and answers to all of these questions, every quarter.
WHAT DO THE UPCOMING QUARTERS HOLD
2020 turned out like no one ever predicted with strong growth in semiconductor devices and industry across the board. How will 2021 look like? Will the current slow down/semilock down situation globally will impact 2021 semiconductor growth? FY 2020 has seen broken many records in terms on key top IDMs and OSATs achieving very strong revenues from Q1’20-Q3’20 as this momentum likely to continue in Q4 as well as AI, cloud & edge computing, and 5G continue to deliver robust demand despite slightly weak demand of global smartphone shipments. Automotive market has resurrected itself from the lockdown in Q3 and suppliers start to see significant upside with various automotive devices and packaging. Top OSATs continue to operate at full capacity and in some instances raw material suppliers have to increase their prices due to very tight capacity situation. How will 2021 hold given this strong growth indicators in 2020?
ADVANCED PACKAGING QUARTERLY MARKET MONITOR – CONTENT
The Advanced Packaging Quarterly Market Monitor contains all of the data related to FCBGA, 3D Stacked, WLCSP, and Fan-Out package revenue per quarter, shipments, near and long-term revenue, market share per quarter, capex per company, and market demand/supply forecasts including wafer shipments per supplier. Also included is a complete analysis of demand breakdown across key segments such as mobile, consumer, automotive, and medical. For top players (TSMC, Samsung Electronics, Amkor, JCET, ASE/w SPIL, PTI, TFME, Nepes, Huatian, China WLCSP, Sony, Intel), the Advanced Packaging Quarterly Monitor furnishes a detailed analysis of capex, shipments, market share, and capacity, along with the expected impact of changes in Advanced Packaging process technologies and the application mix.
The following deliverables are included:
- Excel database with all historical and forecast data
- PDF slide-deck with graphs and comments/ analysis regarding expected evolutions
- Direct access to a Yole Développement analyst for one year, providing an opportunity for on-demand Q&A and discussions regarding trends, analysis, forecasts, and breaking news
The monitor’s content will evolve based on the feedback received from our customers.
Amkor, ASE, Deca, Huatian, JCET, Nepes, PTI, Samsung Electronics, Semco, TFME, TSMC, Sony, China WLCSP, Intel, Texas Instrument, and more.
Related Reports & Monitors
High-End Performance Packaging: 3D/2.5D Integration 2020
Market & Technology
Silicon IGBT Comparison 2021
Reverse Costing - Structural, Process & Cost Report
Need to discuss?
We are open for discussionContact us