After proliferation, diversification of camera modules comes into play and sustains the growth of the CMOS camera module industry.
- Updated mobile, consumer, automotive camera ASP/revenue forecasts through 2025
- Forecast analysis per sub-component
- Added scenario for mobile sensing camera 3D and under-display fingerprint
- Updated multiple-camera and periscope camera penetration
- Updated trends for all markets
- Technology breakdown per sub-component and new technology
Key features of the report
- Camera Module market forecast (in Munits and $M) through 2025
- Camera Module ecosystem mapping
- Camera Module application trends – mobile and consumer, automotive
- Camera Module technology trends – Image sensor/Lens set/Actuator/Camera module assembly
Objectives of the report
Ecosystem identification and analysis:
- Determination of the application range
- Technical market segmentation
- Market trends and forecasts
- Key players, by market and analysis
Analysis and description of markets and technologies involved:
- Detailed applications per market segment
- Major global actors
- Technology trends
- Main technical challenges
Table of Contents
Glossary and definition 02
Table of contents 03
Report objectives 05
Report scope 06
Report methodology 08
About the authors 10
Companies cited in this report 11
Who should be interested by this report 12
Yole Group related reports 13
Executive Summary 15
- Why this report
- Historical perspective
- What’s new? Products launch, collaboration, fundraising
- Camera module definition
- Scope of the report
- Mobile camera module market trend
- Cost breakdown by resolution
CCM market forecasts 46
- Covid-19 Impact
- 2015 – 2025 volume shipment forecast
- 2015 – 2025 ASP forecast, by application
- 2015 – 2025 revenue forecast
- CCM market – value breakdown
- CCM market forecast analysis
Market shares and supply chain 66
- CCM industry – ecosystem
- Camera module – supply chain
- 2019 CCM – revenue market share
- CCM market share analysis
- 2019 sensors for CCM – revenue market share
- Sensors for CCM – market share analysis
- 2019 lenses for CCM – revenue market share
- Lenses for CCM – market share analysis
- 2019 autofocus & OIS for CCM – revenue market share
- Autofocus & OIS for CCM – market share analysis
- CCM ecosystem analysis
Mobile market trends 88
- Mobile phone market trend
- Mobile camera market trend
- Mobile camera cost trend
- Mobile multiple-camera trend
- Mobile periscope camera trend
- Mobile 3D camera market trend
- Mobile optical fingerprint market trend
- Mobile camera market trend – analysis
Consumer forecast & market trends 128
- Consumer market forecast
- Action camera and drone market trend
- AR/VR market trend
- Smart watch and home devices market trend
- Computing and tablet market trend
- Consumer camera market trend – analysis
Automotive market trends 153
- ADAS glossary
- Automotive market trend
- Automotive imaging market trend
- Automotive image sensor forecast
- Automotive 3D imaging – Lidar
- Automotive camera market trend – analysis
Technology trends 169
- Image sensor
- IR-cut filter
- Autofocus & OIS
- Specific manufacturing equipment
Reverse Costing® – Structure, Process and Cost analyses 201
- Smartphone Visible Camera Module
- iPad Pro LiDAR Module
- Goodix’s Ultra-thin Optical fingerprint
Company profiles 209
How to use our data? 216
Yole Développement Presentation 217
THE CAMERA MODULE MARKET IS EXPANDING AT AN INCREDIBLE PACE
The desire to capture the perfect picture used to be accomplished through complex and expensive Digital Single-Lens Reflex (DSLR) cameras and the use of interchangeable lens systems. The multiple lens possibility has therefore been the cornerstone in the pursuit of extreme imaging performance. Today’s mobile cameras follow a similar mindset but using multiple fixed lenses to improve photography performance. Quickly adopted by large manufacturers, this trend led to 10.2% year-over-year growth in 2019.
Yole Développement expects the volume of global camera module shipments to expand from 5.5B units in 2019 to 8.9B in 2025, at 8.2% Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR). Mobile multi-cameras started in early stage 2015-2016, moving from single to dual cameras, then maturing to triple in 2018 and 2019. Now they have moved toward quad in 2020. Diverse modules implement diverse levels of zoom or wide angle capability. This diversity is enriched by sensing camera modules. This is the case for front tructured light for 3D facial recognition, the rear Time of Flight (ToF) for Augmented Reality (AR) applications, and the optical fingerprint module placed under the screen. In the automotive market the trend is to massively adopt rear cameras and Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) forward cameras. The average number of cameras per car goes up because of the need for new applications, such as the 360 degree view, in cabins and e-mirrors. Again in this market the diversity in camera design is very high.
In the consumer electronics field, vision is an important element of smart products, assistant personal robotics and consumer drones. These new applications will increase the demand for cameras, and drive the camera module market even higher in the years to come.
This latest edition of Yole Développement’s popular report offers you key insights for navigating the camera module market.
CAMERA MODULE TECHNOLOGY IS DIVERSIFYING AND IS BRINGING KEY OPPORTUNITIES TO PHONE MAKERS
In the mobile world, smartphone Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) are in fierce competition to add camera functions and improve camera performance with increasing pixel resolution upgrades, combined with multiplecamera designs. The competition for the supply of high-quality CMOS Image Sensors (CIS) exceeded the worldwide capacity at the end of 2019, resulting in shortages and price hikes. While the recent pandemic tamed global economics, the camera module industry is expected to maintain double digit growth for the next five years.
Yole Développement expects the revenue of the global camera module market to expand from $31.3B in 2019 to $57.0B in 2025, at 12.8% CAGR.
Beyond the sensor itself, innovations in all the different subcomponents of the camera module are in high demand. The introduction of periscope lenses was a major event that allowed 5x or even 10x optical magnification within the existing thickness of mobile phones. Optical image stabilization (OIS) is another critical technology for photography especially for telephoto, hence players are also looking for innovations in this area, using new materials, MEMS or liquid lens to replace the Voice Coil Motor (VCM) approach.
Thanks to the additional techniques and innovation, camera modules are increasing in value significantly over the years. Technical upgrades of camera modules include the “Active Alignment” process to align multiple cameras well. There will be several innovations in camera module integration, like pop-up cameras or side-up cameras, and under-screen cameras in future. These innovations will integrate different materials from various sources, which should provide a great deal of opportunity to the market and facilitate the application of camera modules to more new products.
MARKET GROWTH BENEFITING THE LEADERS BUT ALSO OFFERING OPPORTUNITIES TO SECOND TIER PLAYERS
Camera modules are very precise optoelectronic components, which contains image sensors, lens sets, actuators and assemblies. They have become key components of the mobile industry, expanding into a rich ecosystem that has grown and matured after more than twenty years of development. It is currently enjoying a boom in demand, which is benefiting almost all players.
The industry leader LG Innotek continues to maintain its position due to the large orders from Apple. Closing in are Ofilm and Sunny Optical, who have climbed to the second and third positions by relying on the strong domestic market in China, replacing Semco and Foxconn/Sharp. In the years to come the US-China trade war could play a big role in reorganizing the ranking of Compact Camera Module (CCM) players.
Image sensor providers used to push their technology to market at their own pace, shrinking pixels and increasing resolution. But with current trends mobile phone OEMs are now more aggressively developing specific image sensors with unique features. The rankings of the top three, Sony, Samsung, and OmniVision, is now well established. Lenses are another area where there are a few players at the top, Largan and Sunny Optical, making up most of the market. Other components, such as actuators for autofocus (AF)/OIS and drivers, infrared-cut filters, substrates and connectors have benefited as the industry has reached new heights.
The car camera application has just entered its growth stage and has become a broad market with surround-view, ADAS and in-cabin applications. It has now attracted traditional tier one auto part manufacturers to enter, as well as many leading players of the mobile camera ecosystem. Sony, Ofilm and Sunny Optical are all vying to enter this market as tier two part manufacturers.
AAC Technologies, Ability Opto, AGC, AMS, Alps, Apple, Asia Optical, ASM, Brigates, BYD Microelectronics, Calin Technology, Cammsys, Cha Diostech, Chicony, Continental, Cowell Optics, Cresyn, Crystal-Optech, Ddk, DJI, Foxconn, Fujifilm, Fujinon, Fujitsu, Galaxycore, Genius Optical, Google, Gopro, Haesung Optics, Himax, Hirose, Hoya, Huawei, IM, Intel, Jawah, Jabil, JSR, Kantatsu, Kinko Optical, Kolen, Kyocera, Largan, Lenovo, LG Innotek, Luxvision, Magna, Materion, Mcnex, Microsoft, Mitsumi, Mobileye, Nalux, New Shicoh, Nidec, NTK, Ofilm, Omnivision, On Semiconductor, OPPO, Optis, Panasonic, Parrot, Partron, Pixart, Pixelplus, Powerlogic, Primax, Q-Tech, Ricoh, Samsung, Schott, Semco, Sharp, Sekonix, SK Hynix, Softkinetic, Sony, STMicroelectronics, Sunny Optical, Sunex, Superpix, Suyin, TDK, Toshiba, Truly, Valeo, Viavi, Vivo,Volvo, Xiaomi, Xperi, Zeiss, Zeon, ZTE, and more.
Related Reports & Monitors
Status of the CMOS Image Sensor Industry 2019
Market & Technology
Wearables in Consumer and Medical Applications 2020
Market & Technology
Need to discuss?
We are open for discussionContact us