3D sensing and LiDAR will drive another round of GaAs and InP growth and investments.
Key features of the monitor:
- COVID-19 impact analysis
- Quarterly update of the data
- Market forecast from 2019 to 2026 in M$US for devices, wafers and epiwafers and units for wafers and epiwafers for Power SiC, Power GaN, RF GaAs, RF GaN, GaAs photonics and InP photonics applications
- Market forecast through 2026 by market segment including automotive, consumer, telecom and energy in M$US revenue
- Market forecast breakdown by technology including discrete, module and wafer size
This monitor is not part of our Bundled Offer and Full Yole Développement yearly subscription.
Table of content
Module I, II and III market overview
- Device, open epiwafer and wafer market dynamics
- Open epiwafer and wafer shipment
- Open epiwafer and wafer pricing
- Device, open epiwafer and wafer market revenue
Module I, II and III market application segment
- Device market forecast per segment and share
- Open epiwafer market per segment and share
- Wafer market per segment and share
Module I, II and III technology
- Device market projection by device type ($M)
- Bare die device market projection by technology ($M)
- Wafer market projection by wafer size ($M and Units)
- Open epiwafer market projection by wafer size ($M and Units)
Power SiC market players
- STMicroelectronics, Wolfspeed, ROHM, Infineon, Onsemi, Mitsubishi Electric-Power SiC device revenue
- Wolfspeed, Showa Denko- Power SiCepiwafer revenue
- Wolfspeed, II-VI- Power SiC and wafer revenue
Power GaN market players
- Infineon, EPC, Power Integrations, Transphorm, GaN Systems, Navitas, Innoscience – power GaN device revenue
- IQE – Power GaN epiwafer revenue
RF GaAs market players
- Skyworks, Qorvo, Murata, Broadcom – RF GaAs die revenue
- IQE, VPEC – RF GaAs epiwafer revenue
- Freiberger Compound Materials, Sumitomo Electric, AXT – RF GaAs wafer revenue
RF GaN market players
- SEDI, Qorvo, Wolfspeed- RF GaN device revenue
- IQE, Wolfspeed – RF GaN epiwafer revenue
- II-VI, Wolfspeed, SiCC– Semi-insulating SiC wafer revenue
- SICC – Semi-insulating SiC wafer revenue
Photonics GaAs market players
- Lumentum, II-VI, ams – GaAs Photonics device revenue
- IQE, VPEC – GaAs photonics epiwafer revenue
- Sumitomo Electric, Freiberger Compound Materials – GaAs photonics wafer revenue
- Trumpf – GaAs photonics device
- Win Semiconductor – GaAs photonics foundry
Photonics InP market players
- II-VI, Lumentum – InP photonics bare die,revenue
- LandMark, IQE – InP photonics epiwafer revenue
- Sumitomo Electric, AXT- InP photonics wafer revenue
NEW GAAS AND INP PHOTONICS MODULE COMPLEMENTS EXISTING
CS MONITOR MARKETS
The newly released Compound Semiconductor (CS) Quarterly Market Monitor Module III contains data related to semiconductor photonics. It includes GaAs vertical cavity surface emitting lasers (VCSELs), edge emitting lasers (EELs). The Monitor also includes various InP-based lasers, from Fabry-Pérot (FP), and Directly Modulated Lasers (DMLs) to advanced Electro-Modulated Lasers (EMLs) and InP in silicon photonics (SiPh). It includes a complete analysis of supply chain movements. The Monitor provides a market forecast with a quarterly basis and five-year time frame. The forecast reflects impacts of recent design wins and announcements in the dynamic consumer and automobile markets. At different levels of the supply chain, Module III covers the market data for wafers, epiwafers and bare dies. It dives deep into end systems in consumer and mobile, telecom and infrastructure, automotive, industrial, medical and other applications. There’s also a special focus on the developing Chinese supply chain.
Yole Développement follows key actors and new players across the supply chain within photonics GaAs and InP industries. The top players deeply engage in both industries, such as Lumentum and II-VI at the device and module level, IQE at epiwafer level and Sumitomo Electric at wafer level. Meanwhile, some players focus on one of the industries, acquiring significant market share, for example ams, Landmark, VPEC, Freiberger and AXT. This CS Quarterly Market Monitor provides a detailed revenue analysis of key players at different levels of the supply chain. It features market share, capacity, business model analysis and company profiles.
The Monitor also includes the following deliverables:
- Excel database with all historical and forecast data
- PDF slide-deck with graphs and comments/ analysis regarding expected evolution
- Direct access to Yole analysts for one year, providing an opportunity for on-demand Q&A and discussions regarding trends of market and technology, forecast, and breaking news.
3D SENSING IS DRIVEN BY APPLE AND ITS TWO MAJOR SUPPLIERS
GaAs photonics has been driven by data communications (datacom) for long time, until demand from 3D sensing boomed thanks to Apple’s iPhone X in 2017. In 2018, VCSELs for 3D sensing become the biggest application for GaAs photonics. The total annual die market is worth $1.4B in 2021 and will double by 2026 in Yole’s estimation. The ramp-up of VCSELs in consumer and mobile segments started a new wave of technology development and investments. Manufacturers have adapted to 6-inch GaAs wafers to deal with high-volume shipments, in order to address greater demands on cost and capacity compared to the datacom era.
The competition of two business models in GaAs photonics directly reshapes the supply chain. There are two major suppliers to Apple. One, Lumentum, built partnerships with epitaxy houses and foundries. II-VI implemented vertical integration through mergers and acquisitions (M&A). This further impacted the open epiwafer market. IQE became the major epiwafer supplier with the biggest market share after II-VI acquired Finisar in 2019.
NEW INP OPPORTUNITIES IN EMERGING SENSING APPLICATIONS
The InP industry is fragmented, with numerous players at the device level. Two American players lead the InP market: II-VI and Lumentum. Both have increased their market share and strengthened their positions thanks to strategic M&A. Their combined bare die market share is around 30%.
As of 2021, the main market drivers for InP remain datacom and telecom, thanks to the unique properties of InP photonic devices to reach high bandwidth and data rates and long reach in optical transceivers. However, there is growing interest in emission and detection at wavelengths around 1300nm and 1500nm for sensing applications. We are likely to see attractive health monitoring, 3D sensing and LiDAR applications creating new opportunities and a second wave for InP photonic devices. In Q3-21, Rockley Photonics went public through a Special Purpose Acquisition Company (SPAC) merger at a valuation of $1.2B. Apple is interested in working with Rockley Photonics to develop SiPh modules that can measure healthcare biological parameters for smartwatch consumer applications. For LiDAR applications, InP could be promising, enabling eye safety at longer wavelengths. Players such as Volvo, ZF, Continental, and Daimler are interested in adopting InP-based LiDAR.
For smartphones, manufacturers interested in removing the camera notch on their screens and integrating 3D-sensing modules under OLED displays are considering moving to longer wavelengths, replacing current GaAs VCSELs with InP EELs. Even though this trend is currently in an early R&D phase, we see strong interest from several players, such as AMS, Infineon, STMicroelectronics, II-VI, and Lumentum.
Android phone makers are now returning to 3D sensing, so how will this change the GaAs photonics market? Will LiDAR become another battleground between GaAs and InP? Find out the latest trends in the industries in this monitor.
Will GaAs and InP compete in 3D sensing for handsets and LiDAR for automotive? What are the device players’ strategies in GaAs and InP photonics? Can InP leverage GaAs processes?
Yole provides answers to these questions and detailed profiles and analyses of the main suppliers on a quarterly basis. This Monitor addresses all the dynamic markets in the CS industry, from SiC and GaN power to GaAs and GaN RF to GaAs and InP photonics, covering wafer and epiwafer market sizes, as well as bare die and device, updated quarterly. Yole Développement also addresses COVID-19 and trade tension impacts on these markets.
WHAT ABOUT THE COMPOUND SEMICONDUCTOR SERVICE ?
A full package:
The Compound Semiconductor Quarterly Market Monitor includes the following deliverables:
- Excel database with quarterly update on historical and forecast data
- PDF slide deck with graphs and comments/analysis covering expected evolutions
- Direct access to a Yole Développement analysts for one year, providing an opportunity for on-demand Q&A and discussions regarding trends, analyses, forecasts, and breaking news
Receive every quarter the updated Market Monitor documents
STMicroelectronics, Wolfspeed, ROHM, Infineon, Onsemi, Mitsubishi Electric, Showa Denko, II-VI, EPC, Power Integrations, Transphorm, GaN Systems, Navitas, Innoscience, IQE, Skyworks, Qorvo, Murata, Broadcom, VPEC, Freiberger Compound Materials, SICC, Sumitomo Electric, AXT, Sumitomo Electric Device Innovations (SEDI) Lumentum, ams, Landmark and more.
Related Reports & Monitors
GaN RF Market: Applications, Players, Technology, and Substrates 2021
Market & Technology
Computing and AI for Automotive 2022
Market & Technology
Need to discuss?
We are open for discussionContact us