The SiC power device market is driven by automotive, while the GaN power device market reaches its first milestone in the consumer market.
Key features of the monitor:
- Quarterly data update
- Market forecast through 2024 in M$US for devices, wafers and epiwafers and units for wafers and epiwafers
- Market revenue forecast through 2024 by market segments, including automotive, consumer and energy in M$US
- Market forecast breakdown by technology such as discrete, module and wafer size
- Market players at device, epiwafer and wafer level, including STMicroelectronics, Wolfspeed/Cree, ROHM, Infineon, ON Semiconductor, Mitsubishi Electric, Showa Denko, II-VI for SiC; and Infineon, EPC, Power Integrations, Transphorm, GaN Systems, Navitas, IQE for GaN; from 2018 to present, ranked by M$US revenue
Table of content
Power SiC and GaN market overview
- Device market dynamics
- Open epiwafer market dynamics
- Wafer market dynamics
- Device market revenue
- Open epiwafer market revenue
- Open epiwafer and wafer shipment
- Wafer market revenue and pricing
- Power SiC open epiwafer pricing
- Quarterly SiC device/wafer/epiwafer revenue: Near term
- Quarterly SiC device/wafer/epiwafer revenue: Long term
Power SiC and GaN market forecast
- Device market forecast per segment and share
- Open epiwafer market per segment and share
- Wafer market per segment and share
Power SiC and GaN technology
- Device market projection by device type (M$)
- Bare die device market projection by technology (M$)
- Wafer market projection by wafer size (M$ and Units)
- Open epiwafer market projection by wafer size (M$ and Units)
Power SiC market players
- STMicroelectronics – Power SiC device revenue
- Wolfspeed/CREE – Power SiC device revenue
- ROHM – Power SiC device revenue
- Infineon – Power SiC device revenue
- ON Semiconductor – Power SiC device revenue
- Mitsubishi Electric – Power SiC device revenue
- Showa Denko – Power SiC epiwafer revenue
- Wolfspeed/CREE – Power SiC epiwafer revenue
- II-VI – Power SiC wafer revenue
Power GaN market players
- Infineon – Power GaN device revenue
- EPC – Power GaN device revenue
- Power Integration- Power GaN devicerevenue
- Transphorm – Power GaN device revenue
- GaN Systems – Power GaN device revenue
- Navitas – Power GaN device revenue
- IQE – Power GaN epiwafer revenue
COMPOUND SEMICONDUCTORS, SPECIFICALLY SiC AND GaN, HAVE BECOME KEY SEGMENTS IN POWER SEMICONDUCTOR INDUSTRY
The rapid evolution of wide bandgap compound semiconductors (CS) in 2018- 2019 has positioned both SiC and GaN as key materials within the power device market. There has been a remarkable shift of interest in SiC for automotive applications and in GaN in mainstream consumer applications. Yole Développement (Yole) expects that these applications will respectively drive the SiC and GaN power device market in coming years. It is noteworthy that the SiC market forecast for 2019 is approaching $600M, corresponding to a 40% percent increase year-over-year (YoY). Yole closely follows both SiC and GaN power markets for many years, which have become key segments in the power semiconductor industry.
In such a fast-evolving market, Yole will begin publishing, in quarterly instalments, a monitor containing world-class research, data, and insights pertaining to the CS markets. This monitor will analyze the CS markets’ evolution in terms of revenue, shipments, and prices. It will offer forecasts by market segment, CS device, including wafer and epiwafer market dynamics.
DRIVEN BY THE AUTOMOTIVE MARKET, THE POWER SiC DEVICE MARKET IS PROSPERING
Since the first commercialization of SiC diodes, the power SiC device market has been driven by power supply applications for long time. Now, the automotive sector is becoming the
most important in the power SiC market. The 2018-2019 power SiC device market is notable for Tesla’s adoption of SiC in its main inverter. Following that, different Tier 1 part suppliers and carmakers, such as ZF, Bosch and Renault, have recently made announcements about their adoption of SiC technology in some of their products. Yole sees a prospering SiC power device market. In fact, Yole’s analysts expect the SiC power semiconductor market’s value to exceed $2B by 2024. The automotive market is undoubtedly the foremost driver, and as such will hold more than 50% of total device market share in 2024. An evolving market means opportunities and challenges for suppliers across the supply chain. Yole’s quarterly monitor will answer numerous pressing questions facing this industry, such as:
- How will the electric vehicle (EV) market evolve and will tier 1 companies and carmakers stick to their adoption timeline?
- What will be the supply situation and cost erosion for SiC wafers?
- Will current SiC power device market leader STMicroelectronics continue to manage product supply and keep its market position?
- Will the market leaders of silicon based power devices, such as Infineon, and ON Semiconductor, continue their success in the CS based power device market?
- What is the status of Wolfspeed/Cree’s New York State fab?
- Will China’s entrance in the CS market disrupt the current market balance?
With its CS quarterly market monitor, Yole provides opinions and answers to all of these questions on a quarterly basis.
GaN POWER DEVICES ARE ENTERING THE HIGH VOLUME CONSUMER MARKET
In the power GaN landscape, Yole recently witnessed a remarkable entry of one player into the high volume consumer market: Power Integrations. By Q3 2019, the company announced that it had shipped its new Innoswitch3 with a system-in package GaN HEMT product to after-market fast charger manufacturers. It had also earned a design win with Oppo for 65W GaN-based ‘inbox fast chargers’. What’s more, Power Integrations announced also shipping to Samsung for GaN based 45W accessory mobile fast chargers. This is very exciting and encouraging news for GaN power devices, which have entered the high volume smartphone market for the first time. It is likely to be a real game-changer for the GaN power market. Driven by such consumer fast charger applications, the outlook for the GaN power market is strongly positive. Growth was in the range of 134% YoY in 2019, and analysts from Yole expect the market to be worth more than $350M in 2024.
Yole will provide detailed profiles and analyses of main suppliers on a quarterly basis.
CS QUARTERLY MARKET MONITOR – CONTENT
The CS Quarterly Market Monitor contains all the quarterly data related to power SiC and power GaN device revenue. This includes: SiC wafer and SiC/GaN epiwafer shipments and revenue; near and long-term revenue; a complete analysis with details of the market forecast; and deep dives into the automotive, consumer, energy, industrial, telecom and infrastructure sectors. Yole follows companies across the supply chain. The CS Quarterly Market Monitor analyses the top players’ revenue in detail for SiC, specifically STMicroelectronics, Wolfspeed/Cree, ROHM, Infineon, ON Semiconductor, Mitsubishi Electric, Showa Denko, II-VI and others, and for GaN, which also includes Infineon, but also EPC, Power Integrations, Transphorm, GaN Systems, Navitas, IQE and others.
The monitor includes the following deliverables:
- Excel database with all historical and forecast data
- PDF slide-deck with graphs and comments and analysis regarding expected evolution
- Direct access to a Yole Développement analyst for one year, providing an opportunity for on demand Q&A and discussions regarding trends, analyses, forecasts, and breaking news.
WHAT ABOUT THE COMPOUND SEMICONDUCTOR SERVICE ?
A full package:
The Compound Semiconductor Quarterly Market Monitor includes the following deliverables:
- Excel database with quarterly update on historical and forecast data
- PDF slide deck with graphs and comments/analysis covering expected evolutions
- Direct access to a Yole Développement analysts for one year, providing an opportunity for on-demand Q&A and discussions regarding trends, analyses, forecasts, and breaking news
Receive every quarter the updated Market Monitor documents
STMicroelectronics, Wolfspeed/Cree, ROHM, Infineon, ON Semiconductor, Mitsubishi Electric, Showa Denko, II-VI, EPC, Power Integrations, Transphorm, GaN Systems, Navitas, IQE
Related Reports & Monitors
GaN-on-Silicon 2020 – Patent Landscape Analysis
GaN-on-Si HEMT vs Superjunction MOSFET Comparison 2019
Reverse Costing - Structural, Process & Cost Report
Need to discuss?
We are open for discussionContact us