While EV/HEV and consumer fast charger applications boost the power SiC and GaN markets, 5G smartphone and telecom infrastructure markets will drive the GaAs and GaN RF businesses.
Key features of the monitor:
- Covid-19 impact analysis
- Quarterly update of the data
- Market forecast through 2025 in M$US for devices, wafers and epiwafers and units for wafers and epiwafers for Power SiC, Power GaN, RF GaAs and RF GaN applications
- Market forecast through 2026 by market segment including automotive, consumer, telecom and energy in M$US revenue
- Market forecast breakdown by technology including discrete, module and wafer size
- Market players at device, epiwafer and wafer level for Power SiC and Power GaN including STMicroelectronics, Wolfspeed, Cree, ROHM, Infineon, ON Semiconductor, Mitsubishi Electric, Showa Denko and II-VI for SiC and Infineon, EPC, Power Integrations, Transphorm, GaN Systems, Navitas, Innoscience and IQE for GaN, from 2019 to present by M$US revenue
- Market players at device, epiwafer and wafer level for RF GaAs and RF GaN including Skyworks, Qorvo, Murata, Broadcom, IQE, VPEC, Freiberger Compound Materials, Sumitomo Electric and AXT for SiC and Sumitomo Electric Device Innovations, Qorvo, Wolfspeed, IQE, SICC and II-VI for GaN from 2019 to present by M$US revenue
This monitor is not part of our Bundled Offer and Full Yole Développement yearly subscription.
Table of content
Module I & II market overview
- Device, open epiwafer and wafer market dynamics
- Open epiwafer and wafer shipment
- Open epiwafer and Wafer pricing
- Device, open epiwafer and wafer market revenue
Module I & II market applicative segment
- Device market forecast per segment and share
- Open epiwafer market per segment and share
- Wafer market per segment and share
Module I & II technology
- Device market projection by device type ($M)
- Bare die device market projection by technology ($M)
- Wafer market projection by wafer size ($M and Units)
- Open epiwafer market projection by wafer size ($M and Units)
Power SiC market players
- STMicroelectronics – Power SiC device revenue
- Wolfspeed – Power SiC device revenue
- ROHM – Power SiC device revenue
- Infineon – Power SiC device revenue
- ON Semiconductor – Power SiC device revenue
- Mitsubishi Electric – Power SiC device revenue
- Showa Denko – Power SiC epiwafer revenue
- Wolfspeed – Power SiC epiwafer and wafer revenue
- II-VI – Power SiC wafer revenue
Power GaN market players
- Infineon – Power GaN device revenue
- EPC – Power GaN device revenue
- Power Integrations – Power GaN device revenue
- Transphorm – Power GaN device revenue
- GaN Systems – Power GaN device revenue
- Navitas – Power GaN device revenue
- Innoscience – Power GaN device revenue
- IQE – Power GaN epiwafer revenue
RF GaAs market players
- Skyworks – RF GaAs die revenue
- Qorvo – RF GaAs die revenue
- Murata – RF GaAs die revenue
- Broadcom – RF GaAs die revenue
- IQE – RF GaAs epiwafer revenue
- VPEC – RF GaAs epiwafer revenue
- Freiberger Compound Materials – RF GaAs wafer revenue
- Sumitomo Electric – RF GaAs wafer revenue
- AXT – RF GaAs wafer revenue
RF GaN market players
- SEDI – RF GaN device revenue
- Qorvo – RF GaN device revenue
- Wolfspeed/CREE – RF GaN device revenue
- IQE – RF GaN epiwafer revenue
- Wolfspeed/CREE – RF GaN epiwafer revenue
- II-VI – Semi-insulating SiC wafer revenue
- Wolfspeed/CREE – Semi-insulating SiC wafer revenue
- SICC – Semi-insulating SiC wafer revenue
SIC AND GAN HAVE BECOME KEY SEGMENTS IN THE POWER SEMICONDUCTOR INDUSTRY
In competition with silicon, SiC and GaN have made remarkable progress in the power electronics business over the last decade. Following Tesla’s adoption of SiC in its main inverter, automotive has become the killer application for SiC. Since then, SiC has entered the priority list of almost all carmakers. While BYD has also chosen SiC in its premium models in 2020, Audi, Volkswagen, and Hyundai are expected to adopt SiC in their next generation models. Despite the global slowdown in H1-2020 due to the Covid-19 outbreak, design wins for SiC solutions have recently multiplied, with a bright market outlook for 2019-2026 period.
For the GaN power market, the adoption of GaN HEMTs for Oppo’s in-box fast charger at the end of 2019 boosted the penetration of this wide bandgap material. So far at least 10 smartphones OEMs have launched more than 18 phones with an inbox GaN charger. This growth will continue in the aftermarket as well, with companies like Apple, Xiaomi, and Samsung opting for an out-of-the-box charger solution. According to Yole Développement (Yole), the power GaN market doubled in 2020 compared to 2019 and is poised to surpass the $1B mark in 2026. As further confirmation of this impressive GaN market growth, Yole forecasts that the markets for telecom & datacom and automotive will contribute in the mid- to long-term to overall growth, benefiting from GaN’s ascension in fast chargers.
Facing a fast-evolving market and the pandemic crisis in 2020, Yole Développement (Yole) is publishing a monitor containing world-class research, data, and insights pertaining to compound semiconductor (CS) markets in quarterly instalments. This monitor analyses the CS markets’ evolution in terms of revenue, shipments, and price, as well as market forecast per market segment, CS device, wafer and epiwafer market dynamics.
5G SMARTPHONE AND TELECOM INFRASTRUCTURE DRIVE THE RF GAN AND GAAS MARKETS
In the dynamic 5G infrastructure market, deployment of higher frequencies in the sub-6GHz as well as in the mm-wave regimes has pushed manufacturers to look for more efficient antenna technology platforms. In the Remote Radio Head (RRH) and active antenna systems, GaN has become a serious competitor to silicon LDMOS and GaAs. Driven by GaN-on-SiC devices’ implementation in the 5G sub-6Hz RRH, RF GaN device market revenue is expected to surpass over $1B by 2021. As a key challenger, GaN-on-Si is still in the game, promising cost-efficient and scalable solutions. Despite the tiny market volume as of Q2-2021, GaN-on-Si PAs attract smartphones OEMs owing to their large bandwidth and small form factor. Its adoption in some sub-6GHz 5G handset models is likely soon, following the significant technology progress of innovative players. This would certainly mark a milestone for the GaN-on-Si RF industry.
On the other hand, GaAs remains as the main building block for 3G and 4G handset power amplifiers (PAs). With the transition to 5G, it will continue its significant deployment in sub-6GHz phones, as the GaAs PA meets the stringent requirements for power and linearity in the RFFE handset module. Also, the newly released WiFi6E standard will go to frequencies higher than 6GHz, where SiGe performance is limited and GaAs adoption is favourable. In the automotive market, connected vehicles and V2X will become standard features by 2022, increasing the RF GaAs market in the mid-long term. The expected increase of GaAs PA count per phone in the RFFE and connectivity and the demand for 5G phones and connected vehicles drive the RF GaAs die market beyond $4B in 2021.
When can GaN PAs enter handsets? What impact has the US-China trade tensions had on the RF GaN and RF GaAs market? What are the device players’ strategies in the emerging RF GaN and RF GaAs businesses? What is the impact of the Covid-19 outbreak on the RF business? Yole will provide answers to these questions and detailed profiles and analyses of main suppliers on a quarterly basis.
CS QUARTERLY MARKET MONITOR – CONTENT
The CS Quarterly Market Monitor contains all of the data related to power SiC, power GaN, RF GaAs and RF GaN device revenue per quarter, n-type and semi-insulating SiC wafer and SiC/GaN/GaAs epiwafer shipments and revenue, near and long-term revenue. It also includes a complete analysis and details of the market forecast, with a deep dive into automotive, consumer, telecom and infrastructure, energy, industrial and defence markets.
Yole is following the suppliers across the supply chain within Power SiC and GaN industries. For the top players for SiC, including STMicroelectronics, Wolfspeed/Cree, ROHM, Infineon, ON Semiconductor, Mitsubishi Electric, Showa Denko, II-VI and others, and GaN, including Infineon, EPC, Power Integrations, Transphorm, GaN Systems, Navitas, Innoscience, IQE and others, the CS Quarterly Market Monitor furnishes a detailed analysis of their revenue.
The CS Quarterly Market Monitor also includes the detailed analysis of the suppliers across the supply chain for RF GaAs, including Skyworks, Qorvo, Murata, Broadcom, IQE, VPEC, Freiberger Compound Materials, Sumitomo Electric, AXT and others, and RF GaN, including Sumitomo Electric Device Innovations, Qorvo, Wolfspeed, IQE, II-VI; SICC and others.
The following deliverables are included:
- Excel database with all historical and forecast data
- PDF slide-deck with graphs and comments/ analysis regarding expected evolution
- Direct access to a Yole Développement analyst for one year, providing an opportunity for ondemand Q&A and discussions regarding trends, analyses, forecasts, and breaking news.
The CS monitor is expected to have three modules. For the Q2 2021 version, the monitor includes the module of power electronics devices for power SiC and power GaN and a second module covering RF devices, specifically RF GaAs and RF GaN. A third module covering photonics devices, specifically GaAs and InP laser diodes, will be released in the coming quarters. The content of the monitor, such as the players that are monitored, will evolve according to the feedback received from our customers.
WHAT ABOUT THE COMPOUND SEMICONDUCTOR SERVICE ?
A full package:
The Compound Semiconductor Quarterly Market Monitor includes the following deliverables:
- Excel database with quarterly update on historical and forecast data
- PDF slide deck with graphs and comments/analysis covering expected evolutions
- Direct access to a Yole Développement analysts for one year, providing an opportunity for on-demand Q&A and discussions regarding trends, analyses, forecasts, and breaking news
Receive every quarter the updated Market Monitor documents
STMicroelectronics, Wolfspeed/Cree, ROHM, Infineon, ON Semiconductor, Mitsubishi Electric, Showa Denko, II-VI, EPC, Power Integrations, Transphorm, GaN systems, Navitas, Innoscience, IQE, Skyworks, Qorvo, Murata, Broadcom, VPEC, Freiberger Compound Materials, SICC, Sumitomo Electric, AXT, Sumitomo Electric Device Innovations (SEDI) and more.
Related Reports & Monitors
GaN RF Market: Applications, Players, Technology, and Substrates 2021
Market & Technology
Automotive Semiconductor Trends 2021
Market & Technology
Need to discuss?
We are open for discussionContact us