The SiC power device market is driven by automotive, while the GaN power device market has reached its first milestone in the consumer market.
Key features of the monitor:
- Quarterly data update
- Market forecast through 2025 in M$US for devices, wafers and epiwafers and units for wafers and epiwafers
- Market forecast through 2025 by market segment including automotive, consumer and energy by revenue (M$US)
- Market forecast breakdown by technology including discrete, module and wafer
- Market players at device, epiwafer and wafer level, including STMicroelectronics, Cree, ROHM, Infineon, ON Semiconductor, Mitsubishi Electric, Showa Denko and II-VI for SiC and Infineon, EPC, Power Integrations, Transphorm, GaN Systems, Navitas and IQE for GaN, from 2018 to present, by revenue (M$US)
This monitor is not part of our Bundled Offer and Full Yole Développement yearly subscription.
Table of content
Power SiC and GaN market overview
- Device market dynamics
- Open epiwafer market dynamics
- Wafer market dynamics
- Device market revenue
- Open epiwafer market revenue
- Open epiwafer and wafer shipment
- Wafer market revenue and pricing
- Power SiC open epiwafer pricing
- Quarterly SiC device / wafer / epiwafer revenue: Near term
- Quarterly SiC device / wafer / epiwafer revenue: Long term
Power SiC and GaN market forecast
- Device market forecast per segment and share
- Open epiwafer market per segment and share
- Wafer market per segment and share
Power SiC and GaN technology
- Device market projection by device type (M$)
- Bare die device market projection by technology (M$)
- Wafer market projection by wafer size (M$ and Units)
- Open epiwafer market projection by wafer size (M$ and Units)
Power SiC market players
- STMicroelectronics – Power SiC device revenue
- Wolfspeed/CREE – Power SiC device revenue
- ROHM – Power SiC device revenue
- Infineon – Power SiC device revenue
- ON Semiconductor – Power SiC device revenue
- Mitsubishi Electric – Power SiC device revenue
- Showa Denko – Power SiC epiwafer revenue
- CREE – Power SiC epiwafer revenue
- II-VI – Power SiC wafer revenue
Power GaN market players
- Infineon – Power GaN device revenue
- EPC – Power GaN device revenue
- Power Integrations – Power GaN device revenue
- Transphorm – Power GaN device revenue
- GaN Systems – Power GaN device revenue
- Navitas – Power GaN device revenue
- IQE – Power GaN epiwafer revenue
SIC AND GAN COMPOUND SEMICONDUCTORS HAVE BECOME KEY SEGMENTS IN THE POWER SEMICONDUCTOR INDUSTRY
The rapid evolution of the wide bandgap compound semiconductor (CS) market in 2018-2019 has positioned both SiC and GaN as key materials within the power device market. There has been a remarkable shift of interest in SiC for automotive applications and in GaN in mainstream consumer applications. Yole Développement (Yole) expects that these applications will respectively drive the SiC and GaN power device market in the coming years. It is noteworthy that the SiC market forecast for 2019 is approaching $600M, corresponding to a 40% percent increase year-over-year (YoY). Yole follows both the SiC and GaN power markets closely.
Facing a fast-evolving market, Yole has started to publish, in quarterly instalments, a monitor containing world-class research, data, and insights pertaining to the CS markets. This monitor analyses CS market evolution in terms of revenue, shipments, and price, as well as forecasts for each market segment, and device, wafer and epiwafer market dynamics.
DRIVEN BY THE AUTOMOTIVE MARKET, THE POWER SIC DEVICE MARKET IS PROSPERING
Ever since the first commercialization of SiC diodes, the power SiC device market has been driven by power supply applications. Nevertheless, automotive is becoming the killer application for the power SiC market. The 2018-2019 power SiC device market
is notable for Tesla’s adoption of SiC in its main inverter. Following that, different Tier 1 car part suppliers and carmakers, such as ZF, Bosch and Renault, have recently made announcements on their adoption of SiC technology in some of their products. Yole sees a prospering SiC power device market. In fact, we expect the players’ revenue in the SiC power semiconductor market to exceed $3B by 2025. The automotive market is undoubtedly the foremost driver, and as such will hold more than 50% of total device market share in 2025.
An evolving market means opportunities and challenges for the suppliers across the supply chain. Yole’s quarterly monitor will answer numerous pressing questions facing this industry, such as:
- How will the EV market evolve and are Tier 1 part suppliers and carmakers sticking to their adoption time line?
- What will be the supply situation and cost erosion for SiC wafers?
- Will current SiC power device market leader STMicroelectronics continue to manage supply and keep its position?
- Will the market leaders of silicon-based power devices, such as Infineon and OnSemi continue their success in the CS-based power device market?
- What is the status of Wolfspeed/Cree’s New York fab?
- Will China’s entrance into the CS market disrupt the current market balance?
With its CS quarterly market monitor, Yole provides opinions on and answers to all of these questions on a quarterly basis.
GaN POWER DEVICES CONTINUE ENTERING THE HIGH VOLUME CONSUMER MARKET
In the power GaN landscape, Yole analysts’ recently witnessed a remarkable entry of one player into high volume consumer market: Power Integrations. By Q3-2019, the company announced that it had shipped its new Innoswitch3 with a system-in-package GaN High Electron Mobility Transistor (HEMT) product to after-market fast charger manufacturers. It had also earned a design win with Oppo for its 65W GaN based in-box fast chargers. What’s more, Power Integrations also announced shipping to Samsung for GaN-based 45W accessory mobile fast chargers and having achieved a design win for in-box chargers at the
Korean giant in Q4-2019.
This is very exciting and encouraging news for GaN power devices. They have entered a high-volume smartphone market for the first time, and it is likely to be a real game-changer for GaN power market. Driven by such consumer fast-charger applications,
the outlook for the GaN power market is highly positive – in the range of 167% YoY in 2019 – and is expected to exceed $700M in 2025. Yole is providing detailed profiles and analyses of the main suppliers on a quarterly basis.
CS QUARTERLY MARKET MONITOR – CONTENT
The CS Quarterly Market Monitor contains all of the data related to power SiC and power GaN device revenue for each quarter. It includes SiC wafer and SiC/GaN epiwafer shipment volumes and revenue, near and long-term revenue. It also contains a complete analysis and details of the market forecast, with a deep dive into automotive, consumer, energy, industrial, and telecom and infrastructure markets. Yole is following suppliers across the supply chain. The CS Quarterly Market Monitor furnishes a detailed analysis of revenue for the top players for SiC, including STMicroelectronics, Wolfspeed/Cree, ROHM, Infineon, ON Semiconductor, Mitsubishi Electric, Showa Denko, II-VI and others, and GaN , including Infineon, EPC, Power
Integrations, Transphorm, GaN Systems, Navitas, IQE and others.
The following deliverables are included:
- Excel database with all historical and forecast data
- PDF slide-deck with graphs and comments/analysis regarding expected evolution
- Direct access to a Yole Développement analyst for one year, providing an opportunity for on-demand Q&A and discussions regarding trends, analyses, forecasts, and breaking news.
The CS monitor is expected to have three modules. For the Q1 2020 version, the monitor includes the power electronics device module, including power SiC and power GaN. A second module covering radio-frequency (RF) devices, including RF GaAs and GaN, and a third module covering photonics devices, including GaAs and InP lasers, will be released in coming quarters. The content of the monitor, such as the players that are monitored, will evolve according to the feedback received from our customers.
WHAT ABOUT THE COMPOUND SEMICONDUCTOR SERVICE ?
A full package:
The Compound Semiconductor Quarterly Market Monitor includes the following deliverables:
- Excel database with quarterly update on historical and forecast data
- PDF slide deck with graphs and comments/analysis covering expected evolutions
- Direct access to a Yole Développement analysts for one year, providing an opportunity for on-demand Q&A and discussions regarding trends, analyses, forecasts, and breaking news
Receive every quarter the updated Market Monitor documents
STMicroelectronics, Wolfspeed/Cree, ROHM, Infineon, On Semiconductor, Mitsubishi Electric, Showa Denko, II-VI, EPC, Power Integrations, Transphorm, GaN systems, Navitas, IQE
Related Reports & Monitors
Industrial Power Module Packaging Comparison 2020
GaN RF Market: Applications, Players, Technology and Substrates 2020
Market & Technology
Need to discuss?
We are open for discussionContact us