Otherwise driven by EV/HEV and consumer fast charger applications, power SiC and GaN markets are expected to feel the short-term impacts of the Covid-19 outbreak.
Key features of the monitor:
- Covid-19 impact analysis
- Quarterly update of the data
- Market forecast through 2025 in M$US for devices, wafers and epiwafers and units for wafers and epiwafers
- Market forecast through 2025 by market segment including automotive, consumer and energy, providing revenue (M$US)
- Market forecast breakdown by technology including discretes, modules, and wafer area
- Market players at device, epiwafer and wafer level including STMicroelectronics, Cree, ROHM, Infineon, ON Semiconductor, Mitsubishi Electric, Showa Denko and II-VI for SiC and Infineon, EPC, Power Integrations, Transphorm, GaN Systems, Navitas, IQE for GaN, from 2018 to present, analyzed by revenue (M$US)
This monitor is not part of our Bundled Offer and Full Yole Développement yearly subscription.
Table of content
Power SiC and GaN market overview
- Device market dynamics
- Open epiwafer market dynamics
- Wafer market dynamics
- Device market revenue
- Open epiwafer market revenue
- Open epiwafer and wafer shipment
- Wafer market revenue and pricing
- Power SiC open epiwafer pricing
- Quarterly SiC device/wafer/epiwafer revenue: Near term
- Quarterly SiC device/wafer/epiwafer revenue: Long term
Power SiC and GaN market forecast
- Device market forecast per segment and share
- Open epiwafer market per segment and share
- Wafer market per segment and share
Power SiC and GaN technology
- Device market projection by device type (M$)
- Bare die device market projection by technology (M$)
- Wafer market projection by wafer size (M$ and Units)
- Open epiwafer market projection by wafer size (M$ and units)
Power SiC market players
- STMicroelectronics – Power SiC device revenue
- Wolfspeed/CREE – Power SiC device revenue
- ROHM – Power SiC device revenue
- Infineon – Power SiC device revenue
- ON Semiconductor – Power SiC device revenue
- Mitsubishi Electric – Power SiC device revenue
- Showa Denko – Power SiC epiwafer revenue
- CREE – Power SiC epiwafer revenue
- II-VI – Power SiC wafer revenue
Power GaN market players
- Infineon – Power GaN device revenue
- EPC – Power GaN device revenue
- Power Integrations – Power GaN device revenue
- Transphorm – Power GaN device revenue
- GaN Systems – Power GaN device revenue
- Navitas – Power GaN device revenue
- IQE – Power GaN epiwafer revenue
COMPOUND SEMICONDUCTOR MATERIALS SiC & GaN HAVE BECOME KEY SEGMENTS IN THE POWER SEMICONDUCTOR INDUSTRY
The rapid evolution of the wide bandgap compound semiconductor (CS) market in 2018-2019 has positioned both SiC and GaN as key materials within the power device market. There has been a remarkable shift of interest in SiC for automotive applications and the GaN in mainstream consumer applications. Yole expects that these applications will respectively drive the SiC and GaN power device market in coming years.
In H1-2020, the global COVID-19 outbreak has caused a significant slowdown of various end markets, especially the automotive and consumer segments, and thus has impacted the related power SiC and GaN market revenues.
Facing a fast-evolving market and the pandemic outbreak in 2020, Yole Développement (Yole) is publishing a monitor containing world-class research, data, and insights pertaining to CS markets in quarterly instalments. This monitor analyzes the CS market’s evolution in terms of revenue, shipments, and prices, as well as market forecast per market segment, CS device, wafer and epiwafer market dynamics.
DRIVEN BY THE AUTOMOTIVE MARKET, THE POWER SiC DEVICE MARKET IS PROSPERING
Since the first commercialization of SiC diodes, the power SiC device market has been driven by power supply applications for a long time. Nevertheless, automotive is becoming the killer application, following the notable SiC adoption in Tesla’s main inverters in 2018. Since then, different Tier 1 part makers such as ZF and Bosch and carmaker OEMs like Renault have recently made announcements on their adoption of SiC technology in some of their products. In the prospering SiC power market, the automotive segment is undoubtedly the foremost driver, and as such will hold more than 50% of total device market share in 2025.
However, following the global Covid-19 outbreak, almost all automotive OEMs had to shut down and the supply chain faced significant disruptions. In this context, we expect the power SiC market’s Y/Y growth to slow down in 2020, with a significant impact in Q2-2020 and Q3-2020.
Yole’s quarterly monitor will answer numerous pressing questions facing this industry, such as:
- How will the EV market evolve? Are automotive Tier 1 and OEM companies keeping their adoption timeline? How has the pandemic affected SiC-based EV/HEV adoption and its value chain?
- What is the aftermath of the Covid-19 pandemic on the global SiC device, epiwafer and wafer businesses?
- What will the supply situation and cost erosion be for SiC wafers?
- Will current SiC power device market leader STMicroelectronics continue to manage its supply and keep its position?
- Will the market leaders of silicon-based power devices, such as Infineon and OnSemi continue their success in the CS-based power device market?
- What is the status of Wolfspeed/Cree’s New York fab?
- Will China’s entrance into the CS market disrupt the current market balance?
With its CS market monitor, Yole provides opinions and answers to all of these questions on a quarterly basis.
GaN POWER DEVICES CONTINUE TO ENTER THE HIGH-VOLUME CONSUMER MARKET
In the Power GaN landscape, we witnessed a remarkable entry of several players into the high-volume consumer market, notably Power Integrations and Navitas. The GaN power market is evolving rapidly. Many phone OEMs including Oppo, Vivo, Realme, and Meizu opted for GaNbased in-box fast chargers, released with their flagships in the beginning of 2020. Samsung, Huawei, and Xiaomi chose GaN for accessory chargers.
This represents a first milestone for power GaN devices in a high-volume consumer market. Driven by such consumer fast-charger applications, power GaN device market growth will be in the range of 167% Y/Y in 2019, with a market value of more than $700M in 2025.
However, due to the COVID-19 outbreak, smartphone production is estimated to drop 20% in 2020. The impact of the pandemic is region and player dependent.
What will the impact of the economic recession after COVID-19 be? Will the volume share of luxury phones decrease? Will a major phone maker OEM integrate a GaN fast charger in their boxes?
Yole provides answers to these questions and detailed profiles and analyses of the main suppliers on a quarterly basis.
CS QUARTERLY MARKET MONITOR – CONTENT
The CS Quarterly Market Monitor contains all of the data related to power SiC and power GaN device revenue per quarter. It includes SiC wafer and SiC/GaN epiwafer shipments and revenue, near and long-term revenue, as well as a complete analysis and details of the market forecast, with a deep dive into automotive, consumer, energy, industrial, and telecom and infrastructure markets.
Yole is following suppliers across the supply chain. The top players for SiC include STMicroelectronics, Wolfspeed/Cree, ROHM, Infineon, ON Semiconductor, Mitsubishi Electric, Showa Denko and II-VI. The top players for GaN include Infineon, EPC, Power Integrations, Transphorm, GaN S ystems, N avitas and IQE. The CS Quarterly Market Monitor furnishes a detailed analysis of their revenue.
The following deliverables are included:
- An Excel database with all historical and forecast data
- A PDF slide-deck with graphs, comments and analysis regarding expected evolution
- Direct access to a Yole Développement analyst for one year, providing an opportunity for on-demand Q&A and discussions regarding trends, analyses, forecasts, and breaking news.
The CS monitor is expected to have three modules. For the Q1 2020 version, the monitor includes the power electronics device module covering power SiC and power GaN. A second module covering radio frequency (RF) devices, specifically GaAs and GaN, and a third module covering photonic devices, specifically GaAs and InP laser diodes, will be released in the coming quarters. The content of the monitor, such as the players that are monitored, will evolve according to feedback received from our customers.
WHAT ABOUT THE COMPOUND SEMICONDUCTOR SERVICE ?
A full package:
The Compound Semiconductor Quarterly Market Monitor includes the following deliverables:
- Excel database with quarterly update on historical and forecast data
- PDF slide deck with graphs and comments/analysis covering expected evolutions
- Direct access to a Yole Développement analysts for one year, providing an opportunity for on-demand Q&A and discussions regarding trends, analyses, forecasts, and breaking news
Receive every quarter the updated Market Monitor documents
STMicroelectronics, Wolfspeed/Cree, ROHM, Infineon, On Semiconductor, Mitsubishi Electric, Showa Denko, II-VI, EPC, Power Integrations, Transphorm, GaN systems, Navitas, IQE
Related Reports & Monitors
Status of the Power Electronics Industry 2020
Market & Technology
6’’ and Below: Small-Dimension Wafer Market Trends 2020
Market & Technology
Need to discuss?
We are open for discussionContact us