The power GaN market doubled in 2020, highlighting the impressive growth of smartphone fast chargers and leading the way for telecom and automotive markets.
- Covid-19 impact analysis
- Update of market size by device type: discrete HEMT, system-onchip, and system-in-package
- Update of market size for bare die market, by device type
- Update of voltage analyses of GaN power devices: 650V and less than 200V
- Update for the GaN-on-sapphire and GaN-on-Si epiwafer markets
- Update of player and market status, with a focus in China
- Discussion of recent investments, M&A events, the competitive advantages of key players, market opportunities, and market dynamic
Key features of the report:
- Yole Développement’s deep understanding of GaN penetration in different applications including power supply (consumer, telecom & datacom, industrial…), xEV, UPS, lidar, and wireless power
- Market projection for discrete and GaN IC devices in all applicative markets
- State-of-the-art GaN-based power devices, including product charts for each along with device descriptions
- Overview of the GaN power industrial landscape, from epitaxy and device design to device processing, with a focus on China
- Discussion of GaN power market dynamics
- GaN power device voltage analysis
- State-of-the-art developments for power GaN packaging and integration
- GaN reliability overview
- Market projection for GaN epitaxy through 2026 by value and volume, including bare-die market with discrete/SiP/SoC split, device market split by application, and device market with discrete/SiP/SoC split
Objectives of the report:
- Provide a clear understanding of the GaN power industry, covering markets from epiwafers and discretes to GaN ICs – with valuations in units and $M
- Analyze the market drivers and bottlenecks of the GaN power industry by studying GaN adoption for different end-applications and supply chains
- Assess the status and trends of GaN power device technology
- Describe the industry landscape and market dynamics
- Discussion of recent investments, M&A, and the competitive advantages of key players
Table of content
Abbreviations and definitions 2
Table of contents 3
Report methodology 4
About the authors 5
Companies cited in this report 6
What we got right, what we got wrong 7
Related reports 8
What’s new? 11
Executive summary 17
Market forecasts 69
- GaN power devices: market forecast
- GaN power device market ($M)
- GaN power market: HEMT vs. SiP vs. SoC
- GaN power devices: market forecast split by application (2019 – 2026)
- Power supplies
- Power supplies: datacom and telecom
- Industrial applications: industrial motor drive and industrial power supply
- Automotive and mobility
- Wireless power
- GaN power device market: split by substrate technology
- GaN power device market in $M: split by voltage
- Open and captive GaN power epiwafer volume: 6” equivalent
- GaN power wafer demand (units)
- GaN power epiwafer pricing ($)
- Device revenue market share in $M: SiC vs. GaN vs. silicon
Market trends 90
- GaN power market segmentation
- Overview of GaN power application markets
- Overview of technology and economic requirements per application
Market share and supply chain 197
- GaN power supply chain and business models
- GaN industry timeline, key investments, and partnerships
- Main players and the power electronics landscape
- GaN industry: projects and subsidies
- Mapping of key players in different geographical regions
- Epitaxy and fab capacities
- Company profiles (Power Integrations, Navitas, Innoscience, Wise Integrations, CGD)
- Focus on China
GaN power device technology trends 231
- GaN device technology overview
- D-mode or E-mode GaN?
- GaN epitaxy
- GaN power device reliability
- GaN power device integration
- Commercially available devices
Outlooks and conclusions 285
THE POWER GaN MARKET IS TAKING OFF THANKS TO THE DEVICE MARKET DOUBLING IN 2020
Following Oppo’s adoption of GaN in its 65W inbox fast chargers for its Reno Ace flagship model in late 2019, several phone OEMs and accessory charger providers released GaN-solution design wins for their fast chargers in 2020. According to Yole Développement (Yole), the power GaN market doubled in 2020 compared to 2019 and is poised to surpass the $1B mark in 2026. As further confirmation of this impressive GaN market growth, Yole forecasts that the markets for telecom & datacom and automotive will contribute in the mid- to long-term to overall growth, benefiting from GaN’s ascension in fast chargers.
In the consumer market, GaN enjoyed a successful year in 2020 thanks to several companies such as Xiaomi, Lenovo, Samsung, Realme, Dell and LG, as well as other Chinese aftermarket companies that adopted GaN technology. Yole expects the GaN consumer power supply market to be the main driver, as this market is forecast to grow from $29M in 2020 to around $672M in 2026 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 69%.
In the telecom & datacom market, which requires more efficient, smaller power supply amidst tighter regulations for energy consumption, datacenter & telecom operators are already interested in GaN devices. Following the first small-volume adoption of GaN-based power supplies by Eltek, Delta, and BelPower in recent years, we expect a larger penetration of GaN – with a market valued at $9.1M in 2020 and a CAGR2020-2026 of 71%, reaching more than $223M in 2026.
The automotive & mobility market is also paying lots of attention to GaN, following big incentives for the electrification of cars and the interest in increasing driving range through system efficiency optimization. Players such as EPC, Transphorm, GaN Systems, and Texas Instruments are AEC qualified. The major IDM STMicroelectronics, through partnership and acquisition, is also targeting GaN for EVs. Starting from 2022, GaN is expected to penetrate in small volumes, mainly related to sampling by OEMs and Tier-1s. Yole expects the automotive & mobility market to reach more than $155M in 2026.
This GaN report from Yole Développement answers numerous questions facing the industry. For example, how will the handset fast-charging market evolve, and what impact does Yole expect for the overall GaN market?
DRIVEN BY FAST CHARGER APPLICATIONS, POWER GaN WILL GROW ROBUSTLY IN THE NEXT FIVE YEARS
In 2020 the power GaN market doubled thanks to an impressive penetration of GaN devices in fast charger applications. The adoption of GaN in the smartphone market is fuelled by system compactness, high efficiency, and adapter multifunctionalities. Fast charging is likely to be the killer application for the GaN power device market. So far at least 10 smartphones OEMs have launched more than 18 phones with an inbox GaN charger. This growth will continue in the aftermarket as well, with companies like Apple, Xiaomi, and Samsung opting for an out-of-the-box charger solution. How will these OEMs’ decisions affect the GaN market? What are the possible market scenarios for GaN adoption?
While GaN continues its ascension in the mass consumer market, the markets for telecom & datacom and automotive & mobility will benefit from the “economy of scale effect” and price erosion. Indeed, in these markets where reliability and cost are paramount, Yole expects that GaN penetration will see increasing volumes starting from 2023 – 2024.
In the long term, in cases where GaN has proven its reliability and high-current capabilities at a lower price, it can penetrate the more challenging EV/HEV inverter market and the conservative industrial market, which could create remarkable high-volume opportunities for GaN. In fact, Nexperia and VisIC are working on GaN solutions for xEV inverters to compete with SiC and Si.
This report details Yole’s understanding of GaN device implementation in different market segments as well as our impressions of the market’s current dynamics and future evolution.
MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND TECHNOLOGY CHOICES
To enter and become established in the fast-growing power GaN market, companies have developed different strategies and technologies. With strong market entry for foundries, the building-up of supply capacity can be ensured. Meanwhile, the fabless business model is more preferred due to its short time-to-market without expanding internal capacity. Two good examples are Power Integrations and Navitas, both of which are partnered with foundries and who together held more than 52% market share in 2020. Additionally, several more companies such as EPC, GaN Systems, and VisIC have a similar business model. Nevertheless, the question of how to attain product differentiation between companies with the same foundry will be critical in the future.
In this report, the choices of technologies for substrate, epitaxy, integration, and package are provided to analyse the strategy of each player in the value chain and the status of their power GaN business. Also, technology trends are discussed from the perspective of manufacturer, system provider, and end-user.
The booming fast-charger market also pulls investments in China. Innoscience is expanding its capacity in a new 8” fab, while many Chinese companies have launched Power GaN projects to fulfil high future demand. We invite you to read our supply chain business model analysis and our forecasts for the wafer, epiwafer, and device markets. Also included is an overview of the Chinese GaN ecosystem build-out.
Aixtron, Allos, Alpha & Omega, Amec, Amkor, Apple, ASE, AT&S, Azur Space, BMW, Carsem, CGD, Coorstek, Delta Electronics, Dialog Semiconductors, DongKe, Dowa, Efficient Power Conversion, Egtronics, Enkris, Energous, EpiGaN, Episil, Epistar, Evatran, Exagan, Fairchild, Finsix, Ford, Fuji Electric, GaN Systems, GaN Power, Gener8, GlobalWafers, Huawei, IGaN, Imec, Infineon, Innoscience, IQE, LG Electronics, Jedec, Kyma, Mitsubishi Chemical, Nanowin, Navitas Semiconductors, Neditek, Nexgen, Nordic Power Converters, Nuvoton, NXP, Odyssey Semiconductor, OKMETIC, On Semiconductor, Panasonic, Philos, Powerex, Powdec, Power Integrations, Qromis, Qualcomm, Saint-Gobain Lumilog, Samsung, Sanan IC, Sanken, SAS, Sharp, Siltronic, SinoNitride, Soitec, STMicroelectronics, Sumco, Sumitomo SEI, Tagore Technology, Toshiba, Toyota, Toyoda Gosei, Tesla, Texas Instruments, TSMC, Transphorm, Veeco, Velodyne, VIS, VisIC Technologies, Wingtech, Wise Integration, Xfab, Yaskawa, and more.
Related Reports & Monitors
Power Electronics for E-Mobility 2021
Market & Technology
Edge Emitting Lasers – Technology and Market Trends 2021
Market & Technology
Need to discuss?
We are open for discussionContact us