First design-win for GaN HEMTs in the high-volume smartphone fast charging market
- Updated market segmentation from Yole Développement
- Comprehensive analysis of the power supply segment, including consumer fast-charging and data center applications
- Device segmentation for the global market, by discrete and power IC
- Overview and competitive analysis of GaN-on-sapphire and GaN-on-Si technology platforms: at wafer, epiwafer, and device level
- Analysis of the U.S.-China trade war’s impact on GaN’s relevant markets and supply chain evolution
- Technology analysis and value chain impact, with different business models
- Integration and packaging roadmap
- Cost analysis
Key features of the report
- In-depth analysis of GaN’s penetration in different applications, including consumer, industrial & telecom power supplies, PV, EV/HEV, UPS, LiDAR, and wireless power
- Market projections for discrete and GaN IC devices in all applicative markets
- State-of-the-art GaN power devices review, including product charts and device descriptions
- Description of the GaN power industrial landscape, from epitaxy and device design to device processing
- Discussion of GaN power market dynamics
- Cutting-edge developments for power GaN packaging and integration
- GaN reliability overview
- Market projections for GaN epitaxy through 2024, by value and volume
Table of content
- Report scope
- Global power electronics – drivers
- Key applications in power electronics & management
- Power device technology positioning (2019)
- Comparison with Yole’s previous forecasts
- Power GaN market, compared to the SiC and silicon markets
Market forecasts 46
- Device market and forecasts (value, units, wafers)
- Total GaN power market, split by technology (discrete vs. GaN IC)
- Power supply
- Focus on the fast charging market
- Others – industrial, telecom, defense
- PV inverters and energy storage
- Wireless charging
- Envelope tracking
- Other applications
- Wafer and epiwafer starts (by market, applications, devices)
Market trends 61
- GaN power market – segmentation
- Economic requirements/applications
- Market drivers and technical requirements, per applicative markets
- Key players, per segment
Market shares and supply chain 137
- GaN industry – development timeline
- 2019 power GaN industry – overview
- Player market share/supply chain market share
- Ecosystem analysis, business models, players’ strategy, supply chain analysis
- High-volume market opportunity
- Focus on the power GaN foundry business and device manufacturers
- U.S./China trade war – impact
- Player rankings, with financial analysis and value chain status/evolution
GaN power device – technology trends 157
- GaN device – technology description
- GaN diodes and transistors
- E-mode vs. D-mode
- Technology processes
- GaN-on-silicon technology
- GaN-on-sapphire technology
- GaN devices – reliability
- Gan power device – integration aspects
- Power GaN SiP
- Power GaN SoC
- GaN power device packaging
- Commercially-available products
Outlook & perspectives 212
Yole Développement presentation 220
THE GaN POWER MARKET ACHIEVES ITS FIRST MILESTONE
Over the last decade, the GaN power market has been driven mostly by high-end, highperformance applications offering high-frequency switching, low on-resistance, and smaller form factor at system level. But things are changing for GaN power in 2019 – it’s entering mainstream consumer applications! Following its inclusion in several aftermarket chargers, Chinese OEM Oppo announced the adoption of a GaN HEMT device in its 65W inbox fast-chargers for its new Reno Ace flagship model. This is the first time GaN power devices have entered a high-volume smartphone market, and it is likely to be a real game-changer for GaN power.
In addition to the exciting consumer market, GaN is attracting lots of attention from various OEMs and Tier1s, i.e. Valeo and Continental in the automotive industry. Indeed, GaN is very interesting for emerging 48V DC/DC in mild hybrid electric vehicles and on-board chargers in electrified vehicles. Players like EPC and Transphorm have already obtained AEC qualification, and GaN Systems, which benefits from its BMW i Ventures investment, expects qualification by next year. These device manufacturers are working closely with packaging companies like ASE, AT&S, and Schweitzer to enter the OEM supply chain and enjoy increasing volumes starting in 2023 – 2024 (Yole Développement’s expectation).
GaN is also expected to penetrate industrial and telecom power supply applications including datacom, base stations, UPS, and industrial LiDAR applications. Following the first small-volume adoption of GaN-based power supplies by Eltek, Delta, and BelPower over the last few years, we expect broader penetration of GaN in the near future, with increasing efficiency requirements in data centers benefiting from enhanced GaN device maturity + cost-competitiveness.
Overall, compared to Yole’s 2018 report and its two market scenarios, this year’s market forecast is much brighter than 2018’s base-case thanks to GaN’s adoption in Oppo’s inbox fast chargers. Driven mainly by such consumer fast-charger applications, Yole Développement (Yole) projects that the GaN power business will exceed $350M by 2024, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 85%.
This report conveys Yole’s understanding of GaN device implementation in different market segments, as well as our insights regarding the market’s current dynamics and future evolution.
HIGH-VOLUME GaN FAST CHARGING MARKET: DIFFERENT SCENARIOS ARE FORESEEABLE
Out of all the GaN-based power supply applications, inbox fast-charging is likely to be the killer application for the GaN power device market. Over the last two years, system-on-chip
(SoC) and system-in-package (SiP) primarily from Navitas, along with power integrations, have managed to enter at least 50 aftermarket fastcharger brands, including Ravpower, Anker, and Aukey. As mentioned earlier, one of the year’s most significant developments was Oppo’s adoption of GaN HEMTs for 65W inbox fast charging in its highend model. What other possible market scenarios exist for GaN adoption in this mass market?
Yole anticipates proliferation of Chinese OEM challengers such as Oppo, Vivo, and Xiaomi in the emerging 5G luxury smartphone business, which demands significant technology differentiation. Oppo’s SuperVOOC 2.0 meets these demands, with its reduced charging time and charger size. Other Chinese OEMs have also announced very high-power fast charging (beyond 100W), and could potentially adopt GaN devices in the coming years. In light of these prospective achievements, the overall GaN device market is nominally expected to surpass $350M by 2024.
In a more optimistic scenario (and in addition to Chinese OEMs deploying high-power fast chargers), GaN could also be adopted by other players – including leading OEMs like Apple, Huawei, and Samsung – after achieving high maturity and market acceptance as well as cost-competitiveness compared to Si MOSFETs. In the best-case, this could create truly remarkable market opportunities.
In either of these scenarios, Yole analysts’ expect significant growth: a CAGR of at least 92% from 2018 – 2024 for the GaN-based power supply market.
In this report, Yole invites you to discover diverse market scenarios for GaN-based consumer fast-charging applications, and broaden your understanding of GaN’s innovative technology and landscape.
WHICH TECHNOLOGY AND COMPANY WILL EARN THE BIGGEST SLICE OF PIE?
For many years the GaN power device landscape was dominated by pure GaN start-up players like EPC, GaN Systems, Transphorm, and Navitas, which chose the foundry model and mostly used TSMC, Episil, or X-FAB. But with the GaN market’s resurgence, more and more players are arriving. Recently, new foundries such as Innoscience, SananIC, and IGSS GaN have also joined in to offer services. Meanwhile, power electronics and power management IDMs like Infineon, Panasonic, and Texas Instruments are strengthening their product portfolios too.
In 2019, one player’s market entrance was particularly spectacular: Power Integrations, which announced that it had not only shipped close to 3Munits of its new Innoswitch3 with a SiP GaN HEMT product, but also earned a design win with a major smartphone OEM. What’s more, according to System Plus Consulting’s tear-down report, Power Integrations’ PowiGaNTM technology is influenced by GaN-on-sapphire – a considerable departure from today’s mainstream GaN-on-Si technology.
In a GaN power market bursting with potential, more players are expected to enter and benefit from high-volume opportunities. For example, LED manufacturers may want to leverage their GaN-on-sapphire know-how and high production capacity to derive considerable benefit. A fierce competition is likely to break out between all of these actors and their different business models. However, everyone’s ultimate goal is the same: gain a foothold in the lively GaN power market, earn a design win, and ramp up!
In this report, Yole provides an overview of the GaN power industry playground, covering the value chain from epitaxy and device design, to packaging for GaN-on-Si and GaN-on-sapphire technologies. We also explore different integration technologies like SiP and SoC, and compares them to discrete devices.
Aixtron, Allos, Alpha & Omega, Amec, Amkor, Apple, ASE, AT&S, BMW, Coorstek, Delta Electronics, Dialog Semiconductors, Dowa, Efficient Power Conversion, Egtronics, Enkris, Energous, EpiGaN, Episil, Epistar, Evatran, Exagan, Fairchild, Finsix, Ford, Fuji Electric, GaN Systems, GaN Power, Gener8, Huawei, Imec, Infineon, IQE, LG Electronics, Jedec, Kyma, Navitas Semiconductors, Neditek, Nexgen, Nordic Power Converters, NXP, ON Semiconductor, Panasonic, Philos, Powerex, Power Integrations, Qualcomm, Samsung, Sanken, SAS, Sharp, Siltronic, Soitec, STMicroelectronics, Sumco, Sumitomo SEI, Tagore Technology, Toshiba, Toyota, Tesla, Texas Instruments, TSMC, Transphorm, Veeco, Velodyne, VisIC Technologies, Wise Integration, Xfab, Yaskawa, and more.
Related Reports & Monitors
Status of the Memory Industry 2020 – Focus on Kioxia
Market & Technology
UV LEDs – Market and Technology Trends 2020
Market & Technology
Need to discuss?
We are open for discussionContact us