Compare the technology and cost of 29 SiC transistors from Wolfspeed, Rohm, STMicroelectronics, Infineon, Littelfuse, ON Semiconductor, Microsemi, and UnitedSiC.
Reverse costing with:
- SiC transistor benchmark
- Detailed optical and SEM photos
- Precise measurements
- Manufacturing process flow
- Supply chain evaluation
- Manufacturing cost analysis
- Estimated selling price
- Comparisons of technology design parameters, performance (Figure of merits, current density), and costs (Wafer, die, component, and cost per Ampere)
The market outlook for SiC devices is promising. This market will reach a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 31% for the period 2019-2025 according to Yole Développement. Since the commercialization of the first SiC device in 2001, the performance of SiC devices and the value that they add have been gradually proven. Their price has also become increasingly acceptable to end users.
SiC transistors still have some technical and commercial challenges to face, despite the value they add. These include the wafer price and the complexity of some process steps, specifically SiC epitaxy, SiC etching and high temperature implantation. These challenges still hinder SiC adoption on a large commercial scale.
In this report, System Plus Consulting presents an overview of the state of the art of SiC transistors. It covers 29 SiC transistors, (25 SiC MOSFETs and 4 SiC JFETs), of five voltage classes, 650V, 900V, 1000V, 1200V, and 1700V. They are from Rohm, STMicroelectronics, Wolfspeed, Infineon, Littelfuse, ON Semiconductor, Microsemi, and UnitedSiC. They target different power applications, including two automotive qualified devices.
The report provides detailed optical and Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) pictures of the device’s packaging and structure, with a focus on the microscopic level of transistor design.
This report includes an estimated manufacturing cost of the analyzed SiC transistors and their selling prices. It provides physical, technological and manufacturing cost comparisons between them.
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary, Reverse Costing Methodology and Glossary
Technology and Market
- Rohm, STMicroelectronics, Wolfspeed, Littelfuse, Infineon, ON Semiconductor, Microsemi, UnitedSiC
- 650V MOSFETs and JFETs
- UnitedSiC (JFET)
- 900V MOSFETs
- 1000V MOSFETs
- 1200V MOSFETs
- ON Semiconductor
- 1700V MOSFETs
Technology and Physical Comparison
- Device Performance Comparisons, FOMs, Current Density
- Device Design Comparisons
SiC Transistors Manufacturing Process Flow
- Supply Chains
- Step-by-Step Process Flow Sketches for Each Manufacturer
Cost and Price Analysis
- Yield Explanations and Hypotheses
- For Each SiC Transistor:
- For Each Analyzed Device:
- Wafer cost, die cost, packaging cost, component cost, component price
- Comparisons include Wafer and Die Costs and Die Ampere Cost
- SiC MOSFET and SiC JFET Cost Comparison
- SiC MOSFET vs Si IGBT Die Ampere Cost Comparison
System Plus Consulting Services