A first ever smartphone technology monitor on the latest components, packaging and silicon chip choices of the smartphone makers.
Complete monitor with:
- A web-based dynamic dashboard database with historical data from past years and the last quarter, including at least six new smartphones
- A PDF slide deck with graphs and comments/analyses to explain the main technology evolutions in the smartphone market
- Direct access to the System Plus analyst
This monitor is not part of our Bundled Offer and Full Yole Développement yearly subscription.
Table of Contents
- Design Wins per Vendors
- Design Wins per Vendors: Smartphones Details
- Design Wins per Vendors: OEM Evolution (Apple, Samsung, Huawei)
- Design Wins per Nationality
- Design Wins per Nationality: Smartphones Details
- Design Wins per Nationality: OEM Evolution (Apple, Samsung, Huawei)
- Package Footprint per Vendors
- Package Footprint per Vendors: Smartphones Details
- Package Footprint per Vendors: OEM Evolution (Apple, Samsung, Huawei)
- Package Footprint per Category
- Package Footprint per Family
- Package Footprint: OEM Evolution (Apple, Samsung, Huawei)
- eBoM Cost per Category
- eBoM Cost per Category: Smartphones Details
- eBoM Cost per Category: OEM Evolution (Apple, Samsung, Huawei)
Die, Wafer & Technology
- Die Area per Vendors
- Die Area per Vendors: Smartphones Details
- Die Area per Vendors: OEM Evolution (Apple, Samsung, Huawei)
- Die Area per Nationality
- Die Area per Nationality: Smartphones Details
- Die Area per Nationality: OEM Evolution (Apple, Samsung, Huawei)
- Die Area per Category
- Die Area per Category: Smartphones Details
- Die Area per Category: OEM Evolution (Apple, Samsung, Huawei)
- Wafer Size Repartition
- Wafer Material Repartition
- Technology Node Repartition
Focus on Application Processors
- Focus on Application Processors
Focus on Memories
- Focus on NAND
- Focus on DRAM
Focus on Sensors
- Focus on Sensors: CMOS Image Sensors
- Focus on Sensors: Others
Focus on RF
- Focus on RF
Focus on Passives
- Focus on Capacitors
- Focus on Resistors
- Focus on Inductors
This smartphone monitor utilizes data from representative phones (65+ phones per year torn down in the System Plus Consulting Phone Teardown Track Module) and follows the OEM market share, which means that the selected phones are a good representation of the market. Also provided is the detailed design wins and related supply chain for the eight phones being analyzed, along with supply chain alternatives for the main devices.
For each device and module, you get access to the technology choices of the manufacturers.
This monitor offers a clear view of the market-leading semiconductor companies and a direct comparison between OEMs.
- Design wins for the top smartphones’ OEM (per Mfr., nationality, type of device…)
- Packaging evolution in terms of type, footprint, pitch…
- Die area evolution per function, technology node, wafer size…
- Focus per category (processor, camera, memory, sensor…)
During a full year you will receive an updated Technology Monitor on a quarterly basis.
Q1 2020 shows Qualcomm leading in design wins (17% of total design wins) and package footprint consumption (21%). Snapdragon processors and RF components (transceivers, RFFEM) explain this.
Regarding die area consumption, Samsung leads (30% of total die area) thanks to memories and image sensors.
BGA and LGA packages are the main packaging platform, with 37% of package footprint consumption.
U.S.-based companies account for 47% of IC design wins and 43% of total die area (Qualcomm, Qorvo, Skyworks, Texas Instruments and Cirrus Logic have the majority). Even though Korea represents only 6% of the IC design wins number, it represents 33% in terms of the total die area. Memory players Samsung and SK Hynix drive this result.
300mm (12-inch) wafer represents 69% of total die area used in Q1 2021, with leading-edge technology nodes (14nm down to 5nm) representing 30% of the total die area. According to Q1 2021 smartphone shipments, 300M wafers account for 5M units shipped for the 8 systems under analysis.
|Q4 2021:||Q1 2021|
|Q2 2021||Q3 2021:|
Related Reports & Monitors
Camera Module Comparison 2021 – Vol. 1
Reverse Costing - Technology, Process & Cost Report
InfiRay Micro III Camera Core Performance Analysis
Market & Technology
Need to discuss?
We are open for discussionContact us