Tri-Pack power module from StarPower with direct liquid cooling pin-fin structure.
COMPLETE TEARDOWN WITH
- Detailed optical and SEM photos
- Precise measurements
- Material EDX analysis
- Manufacturing process flow
- Supply chain evaluation
- Manufacturing cost analysis
- Estimated selling price
- Technology and cost comparisons with Infineon’s HybridPACK™ Drive FS820R08A6P2B
Table of Content
- Executive Summary
- Market Overview
- Reverse Costing Methodology and Glossary
- Overview of the Physical Analysis
- Package Analysis
- Package opening
- Package cross-section
- Si IGBT Die
- IGBT die view and dimensions
- IGBT die process
- IGBT die cross-section
- Si Diode Die
- Diode die view and dimensions
- Diode die process
- Diode die cross-section
- Si IGBT Fabrication Unit & Process Flow
- Si Diode Fabrication Unit & Process Flow
- Final Test and Packaging Fabrication Unit
- Packaging Process Flow
- Synthesis of the Cost Analysis
- Yield Explanations and Hypotheses
- Si IGBT
- IGBT front-end cost
- IGBT wafer cost per process step
- IGBT die probe test, dicing and cost
- Si Diode
- Diode front-end cost
- Diode wafer cost per process step
- Diode die probe test, dicing and cost
- DBC Cost
- DBC BOM cost
- DBC assembly cost
- Module Cost
- Module BOM cost
- Packaging assembly cost
- Final module cost
Selling Price Analysis
- Definition of Prices
- Estimation of Selling Price
- StarPower vs Infineon Power Modules
The new environmental regulations to reduce average CO2 emissions and other automotive trends play in favor of greater vehicle electrification and faster deployment of Electric Vehicles/Hybrid Electric Vehicles (EV/HEVs). Yole Développement expects that there will be 24 million EV/HEVs sold annually by 2024.
Although China is the biggest market for electric and hybrid electric vehicles, foreign suppliers still provide a big proportion of power modules integrated into systems in China. However, the share of Chinese power module and die makers is increasing and the quality and performance of these devices is continuously improving. One of the major power module manufacturers in China is StarPower.
In this context, System Plus Consulting provides a full reverse costing study of the StarPower module GD820HTX75P6H. This Tri-Pack power module, in a P6 package from StarPower, drives 820 A with a voltage rating of 750 V. It uses copper pin-fin dissipation structure for direct liquid cooling.
Supported by a full teardown of the module’s components and housing, this report reveals StarPower’s packaging technological choices as well as the designs of the IGBT and diode dies used.
This report provides insights about technology data, manufacturing cost and the selling price of the module. It includes an estimated manufacturing cost of all the module’s components.
Also included an exhaustive comparison between the Tri-Pack P6 module GD820HTX75P6H from StarPower and its counterpart from Infineon, the HybridPACK™ Drive FS820R08A6P2B.
These comparisons highlight differences in the packaging design, die technology, and cost.
Related Reports & Monitors
Power Electronics for E-Mobility 2021
Market & Technology
Silicon IGBT Comparison 2021
Reverse Costing - Structural, Process & Cost Report
Need to discuss?
We are open for discussionContact us