Complete analysis of the main sensing part of the Tesla‘s autopilot system.
COMPLETE TEARDOWN WITH
- Detailed photos
- Block diagram
- Lens module cross section
- PCB cross-section and cost estimation
- Die pictures and cost estimations of the CMOS image sensor
- Complete and priced bill-ofmaterials
- Manufacturing process flow
- Manufacturing cost analysis
- Estimated sales price
Table of Content
- Executive Summary
- Main Chipset
- Block Diagram
- Reverse Costing Methodology
- ON Semiconductor
- Views and Dimensions of the System
- System Opening
- Electronic Board
- Top side – Global view, high definition photo, main components markings and identification
- Bottom side – Global view, high definition photo, PCB markings, components markings and identification
- Lens Modules
- Assessing the BOM
- PCB Cost
- CIS Cost
- BOM Cost – Board
- Housing Parts – Estimation
- BOM Cost – Housing
- BOM Cost – Support
- Material Cost Breakdown
- Assessing the Added Value (AV) Cost
- Details of the Electronic Board AV Cost
- Details of the Housing Assembly AV Cost
- Details of the System Assembly AV Cost
- Added-Value Cost Breakdown
- Manufacturing Cost Breakdown
Manufacturer Price Analysis
- Financial Ratios
- Estimation of the Manufacturer Price
Tesla is preparing the best solution to offer a system to make a car truly autonomous, with the objective of reduction of accident and injury.
The Triple Forward Camera from Tesla Model 3 is mounted behind the windshield and provides broad visibility in front of the car.
This system captures front images over up to 250 meters that are used by the Tesla Model 3 Driver Assist Autopilot Control Module Unit. The system integrates a serializer but no computing.
Tesla chose dated but well known and reliable components with limited bandwidth, speed and dynamic range. This is probably due to the limited computing performance of the downstream Full Self-Driving chipset. This three-cameras setup is therefore very far from the robotic autonomous vehicle (AV) technology used on Waymo and GM Cruise vehicles. The level of autonomy Tesla will achieve with this kind of hardware is the trillion-dollar question you will be able to assess with this report.
We assume this system is manufactured in the USA. It is an acquisition module without treatment using three cameras, narrow, main and wide, with 3 CMOS Image Sensors with 1280×960 1.2Mp resolution.
Based on a complete teardown analysis, the report provides the bill-of-material (BOM) and the manufacturing cost of the Triple Forward Camera from Tesla Model 3.
The report also includes a physical analysis of the CMOS image Sensor from ON Semiconductor subsidiary Aptina.
Also, the complete cost analysis and a selling price estimation are calculated.
Related Reports & Monitors
Tesla Model 3 Driver-Assist Autopilot Control Module Unit
Reverse Costing - Structural, Process & Cost Report
3D Imaging & Sensing 2020
Market & Technology
Need to discuss?
We are open for discussionContact us