In the ultrasound module market, CMUT and PMUT are growing two times faster in medical and consumer applications.
- What we got right, what we got wrong from our previous report
- Impact of COVID-19 on the ultrasound market
- Added categories in terms of applications (e.g. wearables, VR headset)
- Updated forecast information, and comparison with previous report
- Addition of new players in the ultrasound market
- More detailed information on micromachined ultrasound technologies and challenges
- Ultrasound market segmentation: medical, consumer, industrial, and automotive
- Ultrasound sensing modules market data and forecasts 2019 – 2025, per application (in $M, Munits)
- Ultrasound sensing modules market data and forecasts 2019 – 2025, per technology (in $M and Munits)
- Penetration of CMUT and PMUT per application – comparisons 2019 and 2025 (in Munits)
- Drivers and market dynamics for each application
- Application and technology roadmap
- Technology trends for ultrasonic transducers: bulk, CMUT, PMUT
- Industrial landscape: key players per application
- Supply chain analysis
Provide forecast metrics for each ultrasound sensing module:
- Ultrasound market revenue and volume shipment forecasts at the system level for various industries (consumer, medical, industrial, and automotive)
- Ultrasound sensing modules revenue forecast and volume shipments forecast
- Technology penetration rates: CMUT and PMUT technologies vs. bulk piezo
- Comparison of metrics from the previous report
Deliver an in-depth understanding of the ecosystem and players:
- Identify the players from various areas such as foundry, transducer, packaging, system level integrator, etc.
- Who are the key suppliers and what technologies do they provide?
Share key technical insights and analysis on future technology trends and challenges:
- The industry’s state-of-the-art technologies
- Dynamics of key technologies
- Emerging technologies and roadmaps
Table of Contents
Executive summary 16
- Ultrasound technologies, applications, and history
- Segmentation of the ultrasound market
- Introduction to ultrasound transducer technologies
- Bulk piezoelectric, CMUT, and PMUT
- Report scope
- COVID-19 pandemic impact
Market forecasts 66
- End-system market forecast 2019 – 2025 (in million units)
- Economical and technical segmentation
- Ultrasound sensing modules forecast 2019–2025, by application (in $M / million units)
- Market data comparison with 2018 report
- Ultrasound sensing modules forecast 2019–2025, by technology (in $M / million units)
- MUT penetration over bulk piezoelectric technologies
- Drivers for ultrasonic sensing
Market trends 84
Market share and supply chain 145
- Medical player landscape and market share
- Automotive player landscape
- Industrial player landscape
- Consumer landscape
- Medical supply chain
- PMUT & CMUT players
Technology trends 160
- Introduction to ultrasound technologies
- Bulk device focus
- CMUT device focus
- PMUT device focus
- Integration and assembly
- Technology trends analysis
- Reverse costing, structure, process, and cost analysis
About Yole Développement 229
A $6.2B ULTRASOUND SENSING MODULES MARKET EXPECTED IN 2025, WITH MUT LEADING THE WAY
Ultrasound technologies have recently experienced renewed momentum linked to the development of microsystem technologies. After more than 30 years of development, Capacitive Micromachined Ultrasonic Transducers (CMUT) and Piezoelectric Micromachined Ultrasonic Transducers (PMUT) devices were finally integrated and recently marketed. But where are we today? Have these new developments received wide adoption? What are the applications and opportunities of interest? This 2020 update of Yole Développement (Yole) Ultrasound Sensing Technologies Report provides an overview and vision of the ultrasound sensing modules market, including market dynamics in the consumer, automotive, medical, and industrial sectors.
In 2019 the ultrasound sensing module market reached $4.6B, and it is estimated at $6.2B in 2025 with a CAGR19-25 of 5.1%. This market is a mix of applications, ranging from those that have reached a certain threshold of maturity, to others that are emerging with growth opportunities. Most of these new opportunities are due to developments in ultrasound microtechnologies. Indeed, the miniaturization and technical specifications of Micromachined Ultrasound Transducers (MUT) have made it possible to imagine applications where miniaturization and high integration are essential, or where volumes are large and component cost is key. Among these opportunities, the integration of ultrasound modules in virtual reality (VR) headsets for gesture-recognition applications and fingerprint biometrics in the consumer market, as well as pointof- care ultrasound in the medical sector, show strong growth with an expected CAGR19-25 of 81% for VR headsets integrating ultrasound sensing.
For most of the fastest-growing applications over the period 2019 – 2025, the use of alternatives to bulk piezoelectric technologies has been one of the enablers. Also, these applications make it possible to create new opportunities, e.g. using touch sensing commands to replace physical buttons on smartphones and tablets, or even image-guided therapeutic devices (for example, catheters) for intravascular ultrasound (IVUS) in the medical interventional sector requiring singleuse product. Here again, CMUT and PMUT have shown growing interest.
CMUT, PMUT, BULK PIEZOELECTRIC TRANSDUCERS – HOW TO CHOOSE?
MUT technologies, whether capacitive or piezoelectric, have their own characteristics and are not always suitable for all applications. CMUT allow excellent image resolution, which makes them candidates for medical imaging applications. PMUT are more suited to detection and time-of-flight applications in the air, which allows them to be integrated into applications such as biometric fingerprint or gesture recognition, respectively. Beyond the capacitive and piezoelectric operating principles, the choice of materials and deposition technologies can also be decisive for the final application. The fabrication of cavities and membranes can use surface micromachining or wafer bonding technologies. The challenges of stiction when releasing the sacrificial layers sometimes leads to alternative wafer bonding using two SOI wafers, but with around 15% higher manufacturing costs. In fact, the latter choice was made by Butterfly Network for its point of care ultrasound probe. Also, the choice of materials and techniques for depositing the piezoelectric layers of PMUT devices will force manufacturers to adapt their clean rooms. Indeed, while Aluminum Nitride (AlN) is a material compatible with cleanroom environments, PZT (Lead Zirconate Titanate) is much more difficult to use, often requiring the use of foundries that have adapted this manufacturing process. Lastly, miniaturization of the components is often linked with an optimization of the architecture: transducer close to the Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC). The integration challenges are numerous; monolithic approaches are very advantageous in terms of final footprint, whereas MUT-on-CMOS approaches are a compromise that is much more convenient to manufacture. And what about the emerging technologies requiring flexibility and stretching for non-planar and conformable applications? All the technological choices and their challenges are included in this report, along with roadmaps and comparison tables.
MORE THAN A CHOICE, A STRATEGIC POSITIONING FOR PLAYERS
Beyond the technological choices, there are players who wish to offer new functions to OEM system manufacturers for which bulk piezoelectric technologies could not provide adequate solutions. Moreover, these choices are sometimes linked to a competitive strategic positioning. For example, Samsung chose to integrate biometric ultrasonic under-display sensors made with PMUT technology for its high-end smartphones in order to compete with Apple’s face ID and even widely-used capacitive technologies for other smartphones and tablet brand names. In the automotive sector, players like Continental are participating in projects to integrate MUT technologies for in-cabin gesture recognition. Most companies have not yet found ideal solutions, which leads to internal component design such as Hitachi and Butterfly Network in the medical sector. Today the MUT industry is structuring, with players such as Qualcomm and TDK Chirp offering off-theshelf solutions or platforms. These players rely on foundry know-how developed over several years, such as Philips Innovation Services and TSMC in CMUT technologies, or PiezoMEMS players such as STMicroelectronics, Silex Microsystems, and Silterra for PMUT technologies. Emerging ultrasound technologies not only compete with standard piezoelectric bulk technologies, but also with other types of detection such as 3D sensing and radar technologies. That said, it appears this new chapter in the history of micromachined ultrasound transducers is a successful one!
ABB, Anden, Apple, ASTI, BenQ, Baumer, Blatek, Bosch, Boston Scientific, Butterfly Network, Canon, Caresono, Carestream, Carewell, CEA Léti, Ceramtec,, TDK Chirp Microsystems, Chison, CK Electronic, Clarius Mobile Health, Continental, Cortex Technology, Denso, DTU, Dwyer, Egistec, Endress Hauser, Esaote, Exact Imaging, Exo Imaging, Fraunhofer, Fuji Ceramics corp., Fujifilm Dimatix, Fujitsu, Fukuda Denshi, GE Healthcare, GlobalFoundries, GlobalMed, Goodix, Healcerion, Hitachi, Holitech, Hologic, Huawei, Hyundai, Idex, Imasonic, Infineon, Infraredx, Kaixin, Kejian, Keyence, Kistler, Kolo Medical, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Meggitt, Micralyne, Microsoft, Mindray, Mistras, Mitsubishi Electric, MobiSante, Muramoto Group, Murata, Neato, Next Biometrics, NGK-NTK, NIT, Novosound, Oldelft Ultrasound, Olympus, Omron, Oxi Technology, Pentax Hoya, Pepperl Fuchs, PI, Philips, Philips Innovation Services, Prometheus, Qualcomm, Rohm Semiconductor, Samsung, Schneider Electric, Senix, Sentons, Sick, Siemens, Silead, Silex, Silicon Sensing, Silterra, Sintef, SIUI, Smartisan, Sonatest, Sonavation, Sonic Concepts, SonoScape, Sonosite, SonoStar, Sonotron NDT, SPTS, STMicroelectronics, Supersonic, Synaptics, TDK Epcos, TDK Invensense, Tong Hsing Electronic Industries, Toposens, Ultrasense Systems, Ulvac, Valeo, Validity, Vega, Verasonics, Vermon, Vision, VTT, Waymo, Whetron, Xiaomi, Zetec and more.
Related Reports & Monitors
BioMEMS Market and Technology 2020
Market & Technology
Edge Emitting Lasers – Technology and Market Trends 2021
Market & Technology
Need to discuss?
We are open for discussionContact us