The unique LinPak 1700V power module from ABB for industrial applications has an innovative, fast and rugged SPT++ chipset
REVERSE COSTING WITH
- Detailed optical and SEM photos
- Precise measurements
- Materials EDX analysis
- Manufacturing process flow
- Supply chain evaluation
- Manufacturing cost analysis
- Estimated sales price
- Comparison with 1700V SiC power module from Cree
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary and Market
- Reverse Costing Methodology and Glossary
- ABB Profile, ABB Module Portfolio
- Supply Chain
- Overview of the Physical Analysis, Physical Analysis Methodology
- Product Datasheet
- Package Analysis
- LinPak Technology by ABB
- Package view and dimensions, package opening, package cross-section
- Silicon IGBT Die
- IGBT die view and dimensions, IGBT die process and IGBT die cross-section
- Silicon Diode Die
- Diode die view and dimensions, diode die process and diode die cross-section
- Die Process Flows and Fabrication Unit, Module BOM and Package Process Flow
- Final Test and Packaging Fabrication Unit
- Overview of the Cost Analysis, Yield Explanations and Hypotheses
- IGBT Die
- IGBT front-end cost, IGBT wafer cost per process step
- IGBT die probe test and dicing, IGBT die cost
- Diode Die
- Diode front-end cost, diode wafer cost per process step
- Diode die probe test and dicing, diode die cost
- Packaging Cost
- PCB cost calculation, module BOM cost and package assembly cost
- Complete Module
- Final test cost, final module cost
- Definition of Prices and Estimation of Module Selling Price
- Comparison with Cree 1700V Power Module
The market for power modules will have a 7.6% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) from 2017 to 2023, reaching $5.5M in 2023. The power module market plays a key role in several industrial applications from electric and hybrid electric vehicles (EV/HEV) and motor drives, to megawatt (MW) solutions like converters for wind turbines, which have a standard power range from 100kW to 8MW.
The power module packaging material business is worth $1.2B, which represents about a third of the existing power module market. Yole Développement predicts that this power module packaging material market will have a CAGR for 2017-2023 of 8.2%, approaching $2B in value by 2023.
Module packaging currently has several critical technical aspects, such as molding, high temperature die attach and connection. It must combine good thermal and electrical efficiency while keeping low mass and volume. Also, to remain competitive, power module makers must deliver high reliability while remaining cost efficient.
In the second quarter of 2017, ABB presented its new LinPak line that offers innovative solutions for all power conversion applications. It enables the design of converters with the lowest overall inductance. Fast, low switching loss chip-sets can therefore be used for the first time in high-current applications. ABB’s LinPak modules’ low inductance leads directly to their lowest switching losses and excellent robustness.
The 5SNG 1000X170300 is a unique LinPak 1700V IGBT module from ABB with ultra-low inductance, configured in a compact design, phase-leg topology. This module uses the latest ABB Soft Punch Through (SPT++) silicon IGBT and diode.
System Plus Consulting analyses the 5SNG 1000X170300 module and its cost in depth. Supported by a full teardown of the module’s components and housing, this report reveals the innovative assets that enable ABB to assemble its SPT++ chipsets in the LinPak package.
This report provides insights into the structure, technical choices, design, processes, and supply chain positions. It also estimates manufacturing cost of all the module’s components and analyses its selling price. It also includes a detailed comparison with the CAS300M17BM2 1700V SiC power module from Cree. This comparison highlights differences in the electrical parameters, dies, packaging and production costs.
Related Reports & Monitors
Wolfspeed CAS325M12HM2 All-SiC 1200V Power Module
Reverse Costing - Structural, Process & Cost Report
2.5D / 3D TSV & Wafer-Level Stacking: Technology & Market Updates 2019
Market & Technology
Need to discuss?
We are open for discussionContact us